Xintex Fume M-1 detector Issues

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I just installed 2 of these. Vendor was great about providing a replacement after testing the first one's sensor failed. Test: I held butane lighter (after blowing out flame) about 2" from sensor for a full minute but the horn never sounded. Manual states 3-4 seconds and red warning light will come on. About 10 seconds and alarm will sound. After a minute, I stopped test. No alarm and I was in an enclosed helm area. No wind! Green light stayed on. No red light or audio alarm. I tried about 1/2 oz gasoline in a cup and held sensor over it. The results were the same. Vendor sent me replacement and tried butane test again and still no alarm sounded. I held lit match near butane lighter and flame came back so there is no doubt that lighter is emitting fumes. Have any experience Xintex issues? If I am doing something wrong, I want to correct my test methods. However, Xintex may have a batch of bad Chinese made sensors.

alldodge

Staff member
According to the Xintex write up your testing it correctly. The main problem with these units is the senor fails over time and some fail more then others. I have the Safe-T-Alert in the cruiser, but have also disabled it. The sensor failed "again" so just disconnected power, because the alarm would not shut off. They are good to have when working.

Just don't count on them, I always run the blower prior to starting. Don't get complacent and not use the blower because the unit didn't sound off

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
According to the Xintex write up your testing it correctly. The main problem with these units is the senor fails over time and some fail more then others. I have the Safe-T-Alert in the cruiser, but have also disabled it. The sensor failed "again" so just disconnected power, because the alarm would not shut off. They are good to have when working.

Just don't count on them, I always run the blower prior to starting. Don't get complacent and not use the blower because the unit didn't sound off

Two brand new complete units out of the box makes me believe that the units are massive defects! These are explosions waiting to happen and law suit city!@

alldodge

Staff member
Two brand new complete units out of the box makes me believe that the units are massive defects! These are explosions waiting to happen and law suit city!@

Could be, and I'm no attorney but would guess the first question that would be asked by one under examination would be; was the blower run 5 minutes before start like the manufacture says to do?

tpenfield

Staff member
I also have the Safe-T-Alert (marine technologies inc), they work fine, but will fail after a few years. I just keep buying new ones, re-use the wiring and replace what fails.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Could be, and I'm no attorney but would guess the first question that would be asked by one under examination would be; was the blower run 5 minutes before start like the manufacture says to do?

and I open the motors' hatch and put my nose to the test.

tpenfield

Staff member
Blowers, sniff test, etc. are all great prior to starting a boat engine. . . . IMO, the value add of a fume detector is for if/when something goes wrong in terms of fuel leakage while underway.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Blowers, sniff test, etc. are all great prior to starting a boat engine. . . . IMO, the value add of a fume detector is for if/when something goes wrong in terms of fuel leakage while underway.

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Fireboy finally contacted me and apologized for not contacting me sooner. My testing methods were correct. But, by then, I had already sent material back to vendor and requested refund. If vendor doesn't I will post their business name. Fireboy should apologize to them too!