Oar Repair

slack57

Cadet
I was given 2 sets of oars that need some attention. Hopefully photos are viewable. 1 blade is splitting apart thinking about completing the splits, sand to fit then glue and screw back together? 2nd oar is splitting was contemplating narrow bristle wire brush to clean cracks then fill with Titebond III ?
Any recommendations other than staring a fire are welcome. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo258726.jpg
    photo258726.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo258727.jpg
    photo258727.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
They really don't look good, clean them up and use epoxy and some clamps to get everything lined up and stuck together.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say, the first picture seriously doesn't look repairable with anything other then a total rebuild. The second one can be re-glued and clamped together again and then a good sanding followed with a few coats of weather proof paint or clear coats what ever you like. JMHO

tpenfield

Staff member
A new set of oars is about $80 . . . not sure you can repair these for less.

robert graham

Admiral
Glue 'em, screw 'em, clamp'em....then clean them and apply about 3 good coats of polyurethane. My 30+ year old wooden canoe paddles are still serviceable....many coats of polyurethane....

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Unless they have some intrinsic value, I'd burn 'em. I am a master of repair but I have learned to draw the line.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
You could make them look better but I do not think they will ever be serviceable ever again.

Ned L

Commander
Unless they have some intrinsic value, I'd burn 'em. I am a master of repair but I have learned to draw the line.

Dito,...... there is no way to return strength back to that loom (the middle shaft part of an oar). It would likely break with the first good pull.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer

​I agree. You could use them for "wall art" if these oars mean something 'special' to you :)