BAYLINER 2355 WATER QUESTION

robpack

Cadet
OK, guys as some of you know I'm a newbie to this small ship. I am lookin forward to uncovering it and getting ready for the summer. QUESTION is as follows: If I were to leave this uncovered (now awning up), parked in my driveway and it rains, should there be water in the engine compartment after the rain? I am putting in a bellows in in the spring--but wanted to know if this engine compartment should be DRY without the top up? I was told a small amount of water gets into the engine compartment no matter what? Is this true or should it be water tight in a rainstorm without the top up?

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
A little water isn't unusual IMHO. Suggest keeping the bow up, and the drain plug out. If it's a lot of water, from not much precipitation, try to find out where it's coming from

southkogs

Staff member
If you're in a rainstorm, water'll make it's way into the bilge if the boat is uncovered even if the doghouse is over the engine. As mentioned above that will allow the water to run out, and you shouldn't have much left in - a cup or two at most.

Left outside in the rain with no cover, mine will flow out the drain fine and be bone dry in a few hours. (My boat lives it's life in the garage, but I've had it out in the drive during a rain a couple of times) Out on the lake, if we haven't been getting in and out all wet (skiing, swimming, etc), I don't typically get more than a trickle when I pull the plug going back on the trailer.

Standing / pooling water in the bilge with the plug out isn't normal ... or good.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
nearly every boat will get some water in the bilge when it rains. the water lands on the deck, runs downhill toward the back of the boat, and into the bilge. if it hits the seats, it goes from the seats to deck to bilge

now if you have the plug out, and it hasnt rained in weeks, and your bilge is still wet..... you have something awry.

robpack

Cadet
Thanks for the input. The bellows (rubber seal) is 8 yrs old..... Getting one put in in april...we may need a new AC also---it freezes up if you run it on anything but FULL BLAST---someone on here told me to check Freon....that will happen first----but if its low on Freon wouldn't that mean there is a leak?

Bondo

Staff member
If I were to leave this uncovered (now awning up), parked in my driveway and it rains, should there be water in the engine compartment after the rain?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... There'll be any water that doesn't flow out the bilge drain plug,...

You Do have the bilge drain plug outa the hull, Right,..??

robpack

Cadet
yes I certainly do...... I was "under the assumption" that these boats "drained" ALL excess rainwater out of the boat. I guess as ALWAYS some will get in, however, if this is the case--then you will ALWAYS have a "bit of water in your engine hold? right or wrong? Any water is NOT good for fiberglass right? I'm new to this---LOL I would assume they could "engineer" a boat that was absolutely water tight? But I guess not........

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
---LOL I would assume they could "engineer" a boat that was absolutely water tight? But I guess not........

​Well they do make watertight boats. But they named them submarines. And though I've never been on one, I'd wonder if they get a tad of water in them also?:rolleyes:

Bondo

Staff member
Any water is NOT good for fiberglass right? I'm new to this---LOL I would assume they could "engineer" a boat that was absolutely water tight? But I guess not........

Ayuh,.... Water don't really hurt fiberglass, it rots the wood that used to support the fiberglass,...

'n the water yer talkin' 'bout, is what falls outa the sky,....
Some hulls drain the decks over-board, but most drain the decks to the bilge, where it runs out the hull drain plug on the hard, or is pumped out in the wet,...