Impeller Replacement - and maybe a couple other questions

tpenfield

Staff member
1) a perfectionist would tweak the engine alignment. If you were able to get the alignment tool in with just a couple of fingers, then it is OK..

2) the oil leaks out while the ball valve is engaging. Pinching the line up by the reservoir bottle really won't stop the flow of what is already in the line and in the outdrive. The trick is to get the outdrive to go 'home' that last 3/4" or so real quick and minimal oil will come out.

km2006

Seaman Apprentice
Ok. Cool. I was far from being real quick, did it by myself... so this makes sense that oil would be pouring out then. Phew. Thought I really messed something up. Next is draining and replacing the gear oil. That should be fun. Hopefully I don't create an air bubble.

alldodge

Staff member
Next is draining and replacing the gear oil. That should be fun. Hopefully I don't create an air bubble.

The gear lube can be changed with the drive installed, in most cases its done prior to install. With it installed, pump it in from the bottom up, install top plug then continue pumping until the bottle is filled.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I would stay away from engine alignment since it is that close and apparently went in easily. The alignment is only a best guess anyway, as the instant you start the engine, there are all kinds of other forces that are pushing the engine around.

km2006

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Can anyone tell me what this bottle (yellow cap) is for? Fluid is near the ADD line, but Im not sure what goes in there? View is looking down from above engine right next to transom.

Attachments

• photo259551.jpg
    photo259551.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0

shrew

Lieutenant
Can anyone tell me what this bottle (yellow cap) is for? Fluid is near the ADD line, but Im not sure what goes in there? View is looking down from above engine right next to transom.

Pump and reservoir for Bennett Trim tabs.

tpenfield

Staff member
Often it is 30 weight oil, but it could also be the special hydraulic fluid.

km2006

Seaman Apprentice
Ok. I was thinking of the wrong trim. The outdrive trim. So that gets ATF from what I've been reading. Thanks.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

That is your outdrive trim pump and it uses 30W as Ted mentioned.

If you have Bennett trim tabs, it to uses oil and not ATF, only thing that uses ATF is your power steering

fetch

Here is a Bennett Trim pump

V351HPU1-withBackingPlate_500px-500x500.jpg

Tabman

iboats.com Partner
That is your outdrive trim pump and it uses 30W as Ted mentioned.

If you have Bennett trim tabs, it to uses oil and not ATF, only thing that uses ATF is your power steering

fetch

Here is a Bennett Trim pump

V351HPU1-withBackingPlate_500px-500x500.jpg

Bennett Trim Tabs do not use 30W oil. They use any type of automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Using anything other than ATF may damage the seals and O-rings as well as degrade performance.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

alldodge

Staff member
Bennett Trim Tabs do not use 30W oil. They use any type of automatic transmission fluid (ATF). Using anything other than ATF may damage the seals and O-rings as well as degrade performance.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Woops my bad :facepalm: , thanks for the catch Tom

km2006

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. I got some automatic trim fluid from West Marine. Didn't need much.

New question please:
Bottom paint. The boat has paint, but it is worn off pretty good at the front. Aside from a few bad spots from poor painting skills, the rest looks good. Not too many layers. So My question is, what do I do? I know I need to lightly sand the area(s) I want to paint to scuff it up so the new paint sticks, right? But how can I determine what paint to get?

I did a lot of reading and it simply gave me more questions than answers. Something about rubbing the paint with a damp rag to see if it is hard or soft. I did that. Not sure how to interpret the results. The paint didnt rub right off, but the rag had black on it....... The boat will never leave our local lake (fresh water in lake st. clair michigan). Its a cruiser, not a speed boat. The boat stays in the water during the season.

Copper, no copper, slowly wears away, lasts longer? Hard can go on soft but not the other way around? Confused.

Any help out there?!

tpenfield

Staff member
It sounds like the paint that is there is the typical copper-based anti-fouling ablative paint used to reduce marine growth on the hull (black and easily rubs off). Maybe you can post a picture or two to be sure.

Many boats that are kept in fresh water do not have paint on the bottom, nor do they need it for marine growth prevention. They do need osmosis protection (blisters), but many do not do that either . . .

Boats that are kept in salt water need an anti-fouling paint as the marine growth is much more active and will soon cover the hull below the water line.

The tough part is taking the paint off. I do not recommend sanding as the dust can be (probably is) toxic. If you think you will just keep with the same type of paint for convenient sake, then a bit of scraping (not too hard) and light sanding can prep it for some touch up . . .

km2006

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

The paint didn't really come off. I saw black on the rag, but I saw no change in the surface of the paint. Was the black dirt or paint? I wasn't able to tell. I'm sure it was paint. I just couldnt see a blemish after wiping. And I scrubbed the rag pretty hard....

Attachments

• photo260644.JPG
    photo260644.JPG
    381.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260646.jpg
    photo260646.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260645.jpg
    photo260645.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260647.jpg
    photo260647.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260648.jpg
    photo260648.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Almost looks like two different paints. Port side looks worst off then the starboard side, but this might be just lighting.

Does appear to be showing some gel coat. It could be the prior owner just put Bottom Kote on and no barrier coat. Bottom Kote is black and many places use it because it doesn't show blemishes so well

km2006

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. Would anyone be able to offer advice on how to proceed with the paint? Any idea what type would be best?