New Boat tipping etiquette

FlyGuy65

Cadet
Bought a new (small) boat from MarineMax. They provide a checkout when you pickup the boat with their 'checkout Captain' - someone employed by MM with an office/desk etc. The Captain was fantastic - answered all my questions and took care of any problems. About a 2 hour process between warranty paperwork and a ride in the water.

The big question - is this a tipping event, and if so how much would be appropriate? And what would be appropriate now that it's after the fact?

I wasn't even thinking of it until it was too late (I was thinking along the lines of buying a new car - no one tips the salesman), but his service was truly outstanding. Wife says no way - it would be demeaning to someone at that level (one doesn't tip the airline Captain, either).

Anyone thoughts? Anyone been in this situation lately?

Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No Way! If he didn't do his job, you wouldn't have a boat. He isn't a captain!

Your wife is right - No tip. He isn't doing any extra service, he is finalizing the sale and nothing more.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
If giving someone money is demeaning, then please, please demean me!

Know what would work? Bring the guy donuts for him and his whole crew. Then you're both heroes.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Tip the folks who provide a needed service, but are at the bottom of the financial food chain.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm not going to tip a realtor. In fact they usually would give a gift card, or something, as a tip to you.
I'm not going to tip the company that sold me my boat, or car, or skis, or suit. I would go back to them or recommend them if they were good.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You don't tip, he's doing his or her job and in this case well. A nominal gift could be a consideration if you feel they did a stellar job. After buying a big ticket item like a boat you should be getting the gift not them. Maybe a 20 buck gift card from a coffee shop mailed to them. My father will bring a bottle of home made wine if he felt the person selling did a fantastic job to show his appreciation. I don't tip unless the person is in the service industry making peanuts. Never the owner.

shrew

Lieutenant
To me a lot of it comes down to; 'who did the hiring'? If I hire a captain to take me out, whether it be on my vessel or another, then I would more than likely tip. I tip the crew of a fishing charter or a whale watching tour, for example. In this case, the OP didn't hire the service. It's not a tour and he didn't hire a delivery captain to 'show him the ropes'. This is a service provided by a dealership, and the individual was hired by the dealership.

I hire a person to wash and detail my boat or car = Tip

I buy a boat/car that was washed and detailed by the dealer = No Tip

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If giving someone money is demeaning, then please, please demean me!

Know what would work? Bring the guy donuts for him and his whole crew. Then you're both heroes.

I agree here, if you were really impressed with him and the process as a whole bring him donuts! they will all love it and it shows that you appreciated it

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Don't forget to tip the dock masters and pump out people

I actually tip them. Here's a kid working the summer marshalling boats in and out of the ramps, he gets a tip if he did a good job. After the first time I tipped him he sees me coming to tie off at the dock, says don't bother and jumps in the water up to his waist and grabs the lines and waits in the water until I got the truck, hooks up the bow strap and cranks the boat on while I wait in the truck, he got another very good tip, 1/2 the cost of the ramp fee, he misses me. The guy that pumps out my cistern gets a tip at Christmas, he has a bad job.

Last edited by a moderator:

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I tipped the poor guy who handled our sea trial. It was late October and snowing.

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you really want to tip him then go right ahead! I dont think it's rude or offensive. I'd agree though with the coffee and donut thing. I do this with our customers frequently and you would be surprised at how well that goes over. If you deliver the coffee and doughnuts to the dealer the upside is the service guys (who are often forgotten and abused) have a good memory for these types of things. So next you bring your boat back, you will likely get treated really well.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you type up a nice letter to his boss telling him what a good job he did it will probably end up framed on his wall.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
If a tip came to mind,then you obviously think the person providing the service did a good enough job to merit a tip.A sign of your appreciation is NEVER ill recieved.Handing someone a $50 or $100 is a good faith sign of your appreciation of a job well done.IT WILL BE APPRECIATED.If you ever have dealings with that individual again,the act of appreciation will be returned without asking.If it is after the fact,then a thankyou card with a gift card/tip would be "doing the right thing".When you are treated in a professional manner ,a gratuity is a return act of professional respect/courtesy.I tip my home fuel oil delivery guy,my boiler service guy,dockmaster,boat transporter,furniture/appliance delivery guy etc..all proportionately to what they are doing providing they have done a job that you are more than satisfied with.When I drop my boat off for service/repair,i tip the mechanic that will be working on BEFORE the work is done and ask him to"treat it like it is yours" .If you ever have the feeling and individual is doing the absolute minimum to get the job done and over with THEN I dont feel they deserve a gratuity simply because they are "just doing their job" just my 2 cents Charlie

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would say no. For what it's worth I would just like to put in that tipping your waiter/waitress is only a custom in the US... In other countries these same jobs have real salaries and I've heard they will usually not accept a tip/sometimes even find it insulting to be offered.

I think tipping is appropriate for when you are giving it to bare minimum pay workers that still work really hard and put in more effort than what the jobs seems worth. It's for the people that go above and beyond even though they are not being payed crap.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
It is customary to tip service people all around the world, not just the US. Tipping in some countries is deemed to be disrespectful. If you don't tip some cabbies they don't unlock the door until you do. I've been told by a cab driver in Jamaica what the tip will be. Don't argue, you just smile and pay. If you venture outside your country know the tipping custom before you leave.