Fuel sending unit

T PAPA

Cadet
I have a 1972 Newman 17' inboard tri hull boat with a 3.0 mercruiser motor, my fuel gauge does not work it shows empty, I'm guessing it's the fuel sending unit. If that is the problem where would the fuel tank be located and how would I get to it to replace the sending unit?

RGrew176

Commander
Before you replace the sending unit make sure there is a good electrical connection. Last year my starboard fuel tank showed no reading. It had worked the day before. I pulled the wire off the sending unit on the outside of the tank wire brushed all the connections and reconnected the wire. The sending unit was working again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

could be one of 3 things:
bad gauge
bad connection
bad sender

you have to test them. use the search function and search for fuel gauge testing

Baylinerchuck

Commander
There should be an access cover in the floor so you can get to the sender unit. All boats should have access to the tank fittings no matter where the tank is located. Granted this is in boats that have been unmolested from the factory. If a previous owner covered the entire thing in fresh plywood, well, it's going to be covered. Search around for an access cover......

T PAPA

Cadet
I just got this boat last summer and the gauge has read empty since I got it, the problem is the turf style carpet must be glued down and it's in great shape and I'd have to somehow get it pulled up without damaging the carpet to see if there is an access panel.

Fed

Commander
You can do most of the testing from the back of the gauge.
gauge.jpg

T PAPA

Cadet
Checked out gauge and it's working, voltage is good also so must be the sending unit and there is no access door to the fuel tank. Any suggestions please?

R055

Chief Petty Officer
I would suggest you find a way to get to the tank/fuel sending unit or live without a working gas guage.