Anchor for a canoe

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking for an anchor for my canoe. It is a 17' Grumman Square back and I want a light weight anchor for it. I plan to use the canoe/anchor in both slack water and flowing water. Nothing like rapids, but flowing rivers and lakes.
This is the style of anchor I am looking at but don't know what size I should get. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Mod EDIT competitor removed

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
With a canoe the weight of the anchor is not as important as getting a grab, that anchor you have posted will work but I would look at iboats to see if they carry it. It is a way of thanking them for providing this free of charge forum.

ziggy

Admiral
how about a pwc anchor bag.
or, where i canoe at, there's always a tree stump to tie up to. so no need for a anchor...
whatever ya use, i'd keep in mind that if ya tip over, yer anchor will be gone to the bottom.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, I didn't even realize that iboats was a company as well. I appreciate the tip and will definitely consider them.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
What kind of bottom to the lakes/rivers where you'll use it? Mud? Rock? Grassy?

We have a small mushroom anchor that works well in muddy bottoms.

jbcurt00

Staff member
OK, I didn't even realize that iboats was a company as well. I appreciate the tip and will definitely consider them.

FYI, notice the banner at the top of a forum page, iboats offers forum members a discount on most products.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I use a nylon cooper anchor for my PWC. It weighs almost nothing and is very small and does no damage to wherever it is stored. If not for that I would use a sand bag anchor. There is a canoe/kayak version available that is even smaller.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Small rivers and lakes are the most likely places I would use the canoe. That anchor bag thing sounds really interesting. It is on my list of things to consider but I am still leaning to a more tradition style anchor.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yah, I was thinking an 5 lb iron weight from a weight lifting set or any old hunk of iron. But I kind of want something a little less ghetto that has some designed in "grab" as well as plain old weight.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Yah, I was thinking an 5 lb iron weight from a weight lifting set or any old hunk of iron. But I kind of want something a little less ghetto that has some designed in "grab" as well as plain old weight.

We don't do ghetto. That said, in a pinch I like the idea of the milk jug filled with sand mentioned above. Have actually never head that one before.

southkogs

Staff member
We used to pour some concrete into a small bucket and set a metal "loop" in it. Tie a rope and voila! Made those when we were working and kept 'em for random anchoring needs on our smaller boats.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yah, I just bought a couple nice anchors at an action. The rubber coated ones. However, I have come to realize that they are like 10 - 15 lb anchors and much more than I need for a canoe. But, they will certainly do until I can come up with something more suited to my specific needs.

robert graham

Admiral
I use a couple of 10 lb. mushroom anchors on my 17 ft. square back aluminum canoe similar to yours....an anchor on the bow and one in the back where I sit....2 anchors can come in real handy for anchoring in coastal/tidal waters where the change of tides can create a challenge to hold your craft in place....both of mine are also rubber/plastic coated....and 1/4 or 3/8 inch braided nylon rope is very good....fairly tangle free and easier on your hands than twisted rope or polypropylene rope....

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Up in wisconsin, we dont have much "tidal" water, but on a slack lake and varying winds, it can have that same affect and make fishing very difficult. I will hang on to the anchors, but still, I want to get something lighter.

I am really liking this style of anchor. I just don't know what size would be best for my canoe.
http://www.iboats.com/Seachoice-Fold...m/view_id.3005

T
he Danforth style anchor would also be something I would consider. Or whatever it is called:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SeaChoice-41620-Utility-Anchor-10-lbs/32739438

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I would think you might have trouble setting a Danforth into the lakebed from a canoe.

esox07

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hmmmm. This is why I ask you guys. When i was a kid, we just used whatever was available. Some stuff worked good, some didn't. Some was just scrap metal, others were traditional anchors. But, it was always for bigger boats and I want to get buy with as little weight as possible for a canoe.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Yah, I just bought a couple nice anchors at an action. The rubber coated ones. However, I have come to realize that they are like 10 - 15 lb anchors and much more than I need for a canoe. But, they will certainly do until I can come up with something more suited to my specific needs.

Take a look at the Cooper Anchor I mentioned. It weighs almost nothing, is made of light weight material that will not mar or scratch and is only just arriving in the U.S. from Australia these last few years. It was the answer to my anchoring needs for my PWC whereby I didn't want any extra weight or any thing slamming around in the storage area and didn't want to have to fill an anchor bag each time I wanted to anchor. I've used it two seasons so far and it has worked great and there is an even smaller version as small as the PWC version is already for canoes and kayaks. I haven't met anybody that is even aware of their existence so they aren't talked about in discussions like this much.