Question concerning an old thread (Checkmate Eluder Restoration)

DGMAX99

Cadet
This post/question concerns an older/closed thread about a Checkmate Eluder restoration that included installation of a in-hull/shoot-thru-hull transducer,
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...419-complete-rebuild-of-1979-checkmate-eluder ).

First off, let me say the restoration was very interesting, and well done! It especially stuck home for me since I currently own a Checkmate Eluder also! Bought mine new waaaaay back around 1980. Mine is black and silver and still in pretty solid shape, although it could use a good cleanup, buff and wax. It still has the original Mercury 175 on it which runs great!

My question is for the original poster (metriccrescentwrench) or anyone else that may have insight concerning installation of the "in-hull transducer" in a Checkmate craft, (I believe it was in post #14 or the referenced thread link), I assume the transducer was for a depth gauge, or something similar.

I would like to add a depth finder on my Checkmate, and would like to do the in-hull/shoot-thru-hull type transducer also. Not knowing the thickness of the Checkmate outer skin layer, I am a little apprehensive about starting the cutting and drilling installation process. I won't be able to get my sensor as close to the transom as the one in the referenced thread appears to be (I don't currently have the decking and tank removed) but I hope to be able to create an access area under the rear seat, which should still be hull area that never leaves the water under power.

In reference to the thread of metriccrescentwrench restoration, I was wondering how well the transducer actually worked after the boat was returned to the water. Also, it would be good to know what type of transducer was used, and for what type of depth finder.

Thanks a bunch in advance to metriccrescentwrench, or anyone else that can offer up any info associated with this question , and Kudos to metriccrescentwrench on an awesome restoration!!

roffey

Commander
I wont be able to provide much assistance but can tell you my transducer is epoxied to the hull of the boat (on the inside) and no holes were drilled. Wait and see who responds with what. I suspect hull placement is everything.

DGMAX99

Cadet
I wont be able to provide much assistance but can tell you my transducer is epoxied to the hull of the boat (on the inside) and no holes were drilled. Wait and see who responds with what. I suspect hull placement is everything.

I appreciate the response! The reason I specifically referenced the "Checkmate restoration" thread is because that is what I own, and the MFG glasses in a balsa wood backing layer to the inside of the outer skin. The "cutting and drilling" I was referring to is to get through that balsa backing, down to the outer skin, without actually going through the outer hull. The restoration I referred to done just that, cut through the balsa to mount a transducer inside the hull, but I don't see any mention of how the transducer worked after the craft was back in the water.

It may be a long shot, but I am hoping the OP of the restoration thread, ( metriccrescentwrench ), or someone who has done a similar installation on a Checkmate craft may be able to answer.

Thanks!

roffey

Commander
I bet you will get assistance here for your specific boat. I do recall something like what you are looking for but its above my pay grade, lol.

jbcurt00

Staff member
MetricWrench hasnt been on in quite a while, so unlikely he'd have seen your post in his topic anyway.

If you want to ping a specific member, just add an @ symbol in front of their user name, it does not have to be bold, and bolding their name doesnt notify them.

@metriccrescentwrench
DGMAX99

alldodge

Staff member
With the notification with the @ sign I found you have to make sure the list shows up, otherwise it might not register. Sometimes I start typing the name and the list won't show up, so I backspace and try again until it shows

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
go to checkmateboats.com and ask the question. Very, very knowledgeable folks who know those boats every-which-way from Sunday. It's almost as active as iboats.

DGMAX99

Cadet
Thanks for all the replies! Good suggestion on posting over on the Checkmate site, I had planned on posting the question there also but it looked like metriccrescentwrench was more active on this forum (appears he is a member on the Checkmate site also but posts under a different screen name), but I did see where his last post here was back in Aug.

I will give the Checkmate site a try also.

Wow, I got bored and decided to check out this forum before hitting the sack and found this thread about me !!!!

The hardest part about putting in an in-hull transducer is just getting to the hull. (It was easy for me because my boat was in two halves at the time). You'll have to remove the fuel tank to place it where it needs to go (in the bilge). As I recall I used a dremel with a router attachment so I could control where I was cutting. Once you get through the inner fiberglass layer the balsa is very soft and it will be like cutting with a hot knife through butter. I can't remember exactly how thick the balsa is back there, as I recall it was something like 3/4 inch or so. The outer fiberglass layer is tough as nails, it's not like you're going to do any damage if you nick it with your dremel bit. Make sure you get all remnants of balsa off the outer layer and you'll be good to go.

DGMAX99

Cadet
Welcome back! And in the nick of time!! LOL I had just about given up on you seeing this post! Thanks for the reply and update on the installation process.

So, I take it your transducer worked just fine in the Eluder? My biggest concern was, given the design of the checkmate hulls, it is pretty much impossible to test the transducer operation before cutting out the balsa and gluing the transducer in a selected location.

Best I can tell from the one picture you posted of where you sawed the recessed area for your transducer, it appeared you placed it in the in the very center-line of your hull. Well, many moons ago when I replaced my rear center decking, I inlaid some PVC piping down the center low-point of my hull to assist water from the front open bow area in getting to the transom drain area. Because of that I will have to modify my location a little. I am thinking of placing my transducer on the first angled area between the bottom transom flat and the first strake, accessing the area from under the rear seat, as far back as possible. It will still be pretty close to the rear and center so the area should be in the water at speed and while turning. it is a little over 15 deg angle so I have ordered an angled puck transducer.

Thanks again for the help!

Sounds like your plan should work. As you already surmised the big thing is finding a location that's in the water when at speed. I have an in-hull transducer in my bass boat also, my only choice in that boat was to place it slightly off center kind of like what you're planning. It's always worked perfectly.

DGMAX99

Cadet
Good to hear! I received the angled puck today, now just need to find time to work on the installation. Guess I have one chance to get it right, hoping for the best! LOL