First time buyer - Need advice on used boats

Toto7SC

Cadet
Hi,

This is my first post. I hope that my questions make sense and will help you to help me. We have never owned a boat but love the lake and have spent time on boats with friends. We are now actively looking into buying a boat. We?d be looking at buying a used boat since our budget would be roughly around $8000. That would include buying the boat and having a couple of things done to it if needed.
My wife and I have three kids (17,16,5) and three dogs (Lab, Jack Russell, Fox Terrier) so the boat should not be too small. The two bigger kids aren?t always with us.
The plan is to get a boat that would comfortably fit all of us when we just want to slowly cruise around or drive to an island to hang out. We would only want to tube or ski when not everybody is on the boat. I would not do that with everyone in the boat.
I would prefer not to have a pontoon and am mainly looking at bowriders. Since we would have a combined weight of (I am guessing) roughly 900 lbs without equipment, the boat?s weight capacity would need to be efficient. Other considerations are obviously safety and reliability.

1. Which boats would you recommend?
I don?t mind older boats as it?s more important how the boat was kept in shape. I would like to stay away from Bayliners due to many bad reviews. A bimini top is important so we?ll have to think of that as well in case the boat comes without it. I prefer the 4.3 Mercruiser. Do you think a 3.0 will do if I find a good deal or should I go for the 4.3 since it?ll have to push a heavy boat when we are all in it? What are your opinions on the three boats below?

https://columbia.craigslist.org/boa/5950620826.html
http://www.augustamarine.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?veh=4782218
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1994-chaparral-1930-ss-102931949/

1. What do I need to look for when I check out a potential boat?

I think this might be a good start. Thanks in advance.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
This doesn't answer your questions, but some food for thought:

It sounds like you have a fairly good idea what kind of boat and motor you are looking for; is that through experience on other peoples' boats? Through observng what others use in the places/conditions you'll be boating? Pure thought experiment?

If your budget is $8k, then pay no more than $4k for the boat/motor/trailer...the other $4k will get spent after you buy it!

Toto7SC

Cadet
Thanks for your response. I am basing my ideas on what I have seen on the lake, what boats my friends have (and like/dislike about them), and research on the internet. Based on your statement regarding the budget, the old '89 Stingray might be a good option. It's old but it looks like it's in good shape and I might get them down to about $4K. Thoughts?
Any other suggestions what might be a good option for us?

Also, what do we need to look for when checking out potential boats?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
welcome. your going to want something in the 22ft range.. frankly, doubtful you will find anything that long with a 3.0 in it anyway. 4.3 minimum... V8 better yet.. condition, condition, condition, get it checked out by an independent shop... engine compression,, etc. type of boat to match type of water.. big lake= deep V design.. bigger is better in the boat world for sure.... as ajgraz said.... keep a few grand in your pocket.. u will need it to fix stuff....as to Bimini's- Carver is very good.. bout $500.. you get what u pay for with those...

tpenfield

Staff member
I agree with going a bit bigger . . . 21-22 feet with 5.0 or 5.7 power.

That may put you more at the top of your budget range.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^ and the 2 older kids are likely to have friends that are likely to go along too

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't worry about brands much. I'd much rather have a well maintained Bayliner than a neglected Cobalt.

Only consider Mercruiser or Volvo drives with Chevy based power for best parts and service support.

Your biggest concern is rot in the wooden components of the hull (deck, stringers, transom). ANY soft spots on the deck are usually indicative of more serious rot below. Check carefully. Do your best visual inspection of the transom especially around the outdrive. Caulking around the drive on the outside and rust or discoloration around it on the inside would be warning signs of rot.

jkust

Rear Admiral
So at times only, if I understand, there will be five people and two dogs. I think you are really going to need a couple more feet of loa on the boats you are searching. You can jam everybody on board a 19 footer but then it gets cramped and if your boys are like mine, they start to get on each others nerves and cause trouble. We've got 24 feet to work with and even then, they are all over each other and that's only short trips of less than an hour per time...I can't even imagine having two dogs aboard as well. Those older boats are tough....they need a thorough inspection to make sure you aren't buying someone's problems.
I can't count the number of times on this board someone got stung with a boat that they thought was in great shape only to discover it wasn't and they then had a project on their hands.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Most important thing is to not rush. You have to really think it over before buying something so you don't regret it. As for the boats you listed, some will say that 19 feet is two small, but quite frankly, I think if it is your first boat ever I would go a little smaller than 21 or 22 feet. A 19 foot boat is prefect for a newbie. It is not too big or heavy to trailer and is more manageable at the dock IMO. You will want to upgrade anyway as soon as you buy a boat lol (boat envy is what I call it).

I would go for the Chap, but I am definitely biased towards chaps as you can see in my sig. I love our Chap but that boat is even better because of the bench seat. We have fit over 7 people in the 18 footer so you should be fine with 5+ people in a 19 footer- the dogs can go upfront or teach them to wakeboard so they can just hang off the back :D
As for the chaps, they ride nice but it will be slower than the stingrays because they are known to be fast. I couldn't even imagine how slow a 3.0l in our 18 footer would be. So at least a V6 but preferably a V8 (like the chap). Lastly, make sure you thoroughly examine the boat you decide on. Make sure the floor is not rotted ( jump in all spots), make sure you hear the motor run, even try to get a test ride if the seller is willing. If they flat out refuse for a reason other than there is no nearby water, they are probably hiding something.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

Marinescout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
If he is in sc like me then a lake is not hard to find lol. I agree the bigger the boat the more experience you should have to run it. I went from a 16 ft nitro to a 21 ft 201 pro bass boat and it was night and day. Now I have a pontoon boat and boy was that a big difference. Also remember what you have to tow it with too. I no you said no pontoons but hands down on lake wateree for me it's the best option. With 5 kids from 2 to 17 it has plenty of room and has a Bimini top and we can tube behind it no problems. Not the fastest on water or the easiest to trailer but I leave mine on the lake year round in the water and it's so nice to just drive to the lake and get on it and go. It's 100.00 a month but by the time we tow it three or four times a week during the summer it pays for itself. Just don't neglect it and let it sit which is why I'm having to work on mine now. Good luck.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Follow the checklist thread that is sticky at the top of this page. I wish I had it, I got lucky buying my 19 footer. The advice given above is good advice. But I can't agree that you will be happy at all with a 19 foot boat with the crew of passengers you have. Who will be staying on shore because no way you will all fit, no way whatsoever. Not even 1/2 of you. I will only bring out 4 passengers max on my 19 foot deep V and that is for a leisurely cruise only on the calm lake or the river. And it can be cramped with 4. If long line trolling 2 MAX. I need the room to fight a good sized fish. If still fishing only 3 max. So like I said 4 max on a 19 foot bowrider and it will be tight.

The downside to a larger than 20 foot glass boat is trailering, What will you be towing with or will you get a slip? The difference between launching and docking a 21 foot glass boat and a 19 foot aluminum is like night and day depending on the launch ramp. I learned with my 19 footer, a 12 foot tinny doesn't count. Ask that friend that you boat with if you can try and launch and retrieve on your own with them watching, closely. Just cranking that weight on a steep ramp can tire the fittest youngster. They do sell power winches though, just another expense.

Good shopping and do your homework. Go to a launch and watch what is entailed launching. Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

You mentioned a pontoon boat, with that crew and your budget and experience a great choice to start out with.

Marinescout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Iron maker is right I had no problems trailering my 16 footer but as soon as the water had a little chop it took me five or six times to get my 21 footer on the trailer and it was a driveon and I'm experienced. Been loading it for years. Plus my f150 didn't really like the difference either. You have to figure out what you want and I'd suggest going out on different ones. Pontoons are slower but has tons of room for a big family and fishing and spending the day on. Speed boats are fast and fun but not very roomy unless you get real big which gets real costly. I've never had a speed boat or runabout but I would never take more than three people on my stratos 201 pro and it's 21 feet with a rear beam pushing 96 inches. When I got home from overseas and spent tons of time with my wife and we ended up with three kids šŸ˜‰Plus the two I had I knew we needed a pontoon. Was it slow compared to
My 70 mph bass boat YES it felt like I was going backwards but I felt comfortable knowing my babies wouldnt fall overboard and we still have lots of fun. I know it sounds like I'm trying to sell you a pontoon but I'm not just trying to let you know that you should atleast consider it. Wateree marina rents a pontoon by the hour not sure what part of sc your from but I would atleast try that before ruling it out. Be sure to take all the people and dogs and see how everyone likes it and take their feelings into consideration too. I put my daughters pack and play on our pontoon under the Bimini and she has a blast (fishing) out of it and I don't have to worry about her. Can't do that with a runabout. Also the dog won't jump over the rail

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I've owned two boats both Sea Ray bowriders. First one was '91 170 with a 3.0, the newer is an 04 200 sport with a 5.0. The 3.0 was inexpensive to run and I could ski and tube behind it but you had to run it basically WOT. The 200 is a great size can take 6-8 people on it comfortably and it has enough power to ski behind with a couple adults on board. You're probably going to want a 19-21 fter with a minimum V6 , better would be a 5.0/5.7.

One question what are you towing it with, that will dictate boat size as well. If you look at stuff like the '89 find some one who has the experince to spot rotted stringers and transom and take them with you. On the engine assuming it sounds good and has good power check compression and oil pressure. If you're not experinced mechanically might be worth having it surveyed or checked out by a marine mechanic.

Good luck I'm Sure this group can help as you move through this process

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
We have a 19' and it's Ok for 5 adults, but more than can feel cramped for day trips (and we don't have dogs). Especially if you'te bringing coolers, etc.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
All good thoughts here, agree with 20 or larger. Just 5 people will work but adding coolers, towels, toys for the 5byear old, and most important dogs. Real a pontoon might be best for you, plus they are typically less to be or go wrong with them.

additional thought is when cruising thru craigslist and you start actually looking at the boats you will find that most of the time when a seller repeatedly uses incorrect terms in the ad, they don't usually know a whole lot about boats except fuel start and run. Not great with upkeep, mechanically or otherwise.

I'm not known for my spelling, but this is about terminology

look at your fist link, hes misspelled bimini twice and calls it something else. Other words are cubby instead of cuddy, and canth think of any others at the moment, but you'll see them. And winter special means he doesn't want to run it on the water for who knows what reason.

once you start picking up on that you can save some time by not looking at some of the boats.

and take you experienced boat friends with you to help.

Toto7SC

Cadet
Thanks for the advice. We are from the Greenville, SC area so we mainly go to Hartwell, Keowee, Jocassee which are all within an hour from here. It's interesting that people here have very different opinions about how many people they would put in a bowrider. I am honestly pretty confused now due to that. Maybe we will have to consider a pontoon. We have rented a pontoon for a day and one of my buddys has one so we are pretty familiar with them. I have to admit that it's nice when we have about 10 people on my buddy's pontoon and everyone is comfortable and safe.

Are they more expensive overall (initial purchase, upkeep)? Like I said, I would prefer not to spend much more than $8.000 for the boat + some minor fixes initially.
What kind of motor should I at least look for so we can have some fun and maybe even do some tubing/skiing?
I know that some people leave their pontoon in the water at a marina. Is that something you recommend against? Does it "hurt" the boat over time? It would be convenient for sure.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Typically in my experience a comparable bowrider is more expensive than a pontoon. I would think that due to an outboard it will be cheaper and easier to maintain as well. For your situation and the amount of people you have I think pontoon would be best as long as you don't boat in rough waters. Yes, people have many different opinions as to what is "comfortable" for them. For me, I would sacrifice comfort to bring an extra friend. As I said before, I've put 8 people in an 18 ft BR, so as far as the people that say 4 people max in a 19ft BR are wasting space IMO. But once you add dogs, a bowrider will feel small because of how much floor space they will take up(which is limited to begin with on a BR) So , due to the need for floor space for dogs and a good amount of space for people, I would go with a pontoon. But if you really like speed, then go for a BR because in that price range I doubt you will be able to get a high powered pontoon (which are a fairly new thing)

What's your tow vehicle?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Pontoons seat more people, generally ride nicer through moderate chop, are easier to maintain with an outboard (there are I/O pontoons but I feel that's a silly set-up), rot is less of a concern and more easily repairable if it occurs, and are more headache free for leaving in the water at a marina. Downsides are they are usually slower, don't handle well in fairly rough water and don't generally tow as nicely on the road. Large motor tri-toons are becoming more and more popular and people do watersports behind them but I'm not sure if your budget would get you into one yet.

Marinescout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I leave my pontoon in the water year round and as long as you take it out a few times a year to wash off the toons and do upkeep on the outboard. I have kept mine at a wet slip for five years now and am just recently started having some engine problems. Nothing to do with it being in the water all the time just older with a lot of hours as we use it way more now that it is convienant. To me loading unloading and trailering was a headache especially if your by yourself. I've been to Greenville and to hartwell and ruff water will not be a problem for you 99% of the time. I'm about 2 hours from there. I would recommend a four stroke and about a 20-22 ft boat. Something with a 75- 115 will get you enough power to tube behind and around 20-28 mph in most boats which seems slow but isn't to bad when your on the water. You will have plenty of room for people to walk around on if anchored in deeper water swimming and just more comfort. A down size to leaving it at the marina is mine has set out in the sun so my furniture is crap now but I'm fixing to replace that. A well built cover that vents to avoid mildew would have been a good investment which I will be making after spending a nice chunk on new seat covering. I don't see why you couldn't find a nice pontoon in that price range. You won't have to worry about rot and some are even on the lake waiting for a test drive. Most are owned by older people who tend to do better up keep not the 20 year old out drinking and boating flying all over the lake in daddy's bow rider annoying us fisherman ( no pun intended).