Shurhold (telescoping or fixed) pole / attachments system?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Anyone using Shurhold poles?

http://shurhold.com/?gclid=CM60odG0v9ECFQxXDQodj3gNNw

Do you find them to work well? Sturdy? Do they float? If so, will they float when there's an attachment affixed?

I am specifically interested in the 4'-6' telescoping "fishing series" pole (833FS) and the boat hook, paddle, gaff and landing net attachments, but I'd like to hear any experiences you've had with their pole-products.

(Yes there are existing reviews, but they seem very "filtered" on the mfgr's website, and none I've seen anywhere really answer my questions...I want the unvarnished truth from real boaters!)

jforrest1

Seaman
I've bought quite of a few products from them but this was not one of them. I've found their products to be well made and work as advertised. Sorry I don't have direct experience but I am curious to hear what other may say.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Well I managed to get some of my questions answered from Shurhold tech support:

None of their poles float as-is. But they did just come out with the "PFD" kit, which is a long, tubular foam insert that goes inside the pole and a neoprene sleeve that fits over the pole, and this supposedly will float the pole with even the heaviest of attachments in place. I did ask, and they said, that you need BOTH of them on a pole (that is, foam insert alone NOT enough). I guess they made this kit after getting tired of people b*tching about lost, sunken poles!

They have a specific PFD kit for each model of pole, fixed or telescoping...BUT, this PFD thing is not meant for the Fishing Series poles--whether because it truly does not fit, or because it simply obscures the "cool" graphics on those poles was unclear--so I guess that means I'm back to the standard pole...no biggie. I like the idea of grippy neoprene all up and down a gaff or paddle anyway!

They did say that the neoprene sleeve does not increase the diameter of the pole...I can't see how that's possible unless it is paper-thin, but I did not press. Probably means I should step up one quick fist clamp size to be certain of fit when stowing.

I did also get confirmation (I hope!) that when a collapsible pole like the 833 says "folds down to 40 inches" that the 40" is the true, FULL length of the pole when fully retracted. Very important considering where and how I want to stow these on my particular boat, as an extra inch or two could be a fatal flaw. (Learned about that when I bought a 42" all-around LED pole lamp that was in reality about 46.5" in total length--had some fun cutting that pole down without damaging the wires inside!)

I forgot to ask if they were planning to expand the product line to include "floating poles" that already have the kit installed (makes sense to me)...or for that matter, why a "Fishing Series" pole (that costs a lot more than the standard pole already--more even than a standard pole PLUS a PFD kit--and is presumably meant for, ya know, fishing) wasn't already designed to float--as I was kind of expecting it should to justify the premium.

I am still looking for forum members' experiences with these Shurhold poles and attachments.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for sharing, I always figured they floated as is. Good to know they don't.