Refill Ritchie Compass

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I have a large Ritchie compass that definitely needs fluid added. I suspect it was originally filled with mineral oil, but I am not sure when it was manufactured. West Marine wants to sell me 20 bucks worth of Isophril L, when a couple of bucks worth of mineral oil (which I already have) will do the job . I suspect my compass is over 20 years old. I don't believe alcohol is currently in compass, because the residual film on underneath compass feel light oil in nature. However, I am concerned with compatibility, if current compass fill is not OIL?

And suggestions? I could try mineral oil and if that does not work then I could flush with alcohol and then start over with mineral oil?

alldodge

Staff member
The compass has a leak and needs repair not just fluid. Ritchie will repair for a flat fee, but also a new compass cost in most cases between 40 and 80 dollars.

jkust

Rear Admiral
They changed the fluid that they used to fill their compasses from mineral oil to the other fluid you mentioned. I just bought my sig boat this past spring and the one defect was the compass was empty of fluid. I just went ahead and purchased a new compass from Ritchie. I think that they have a replacement available for every compass they've manufactured. It was three screws and reconnect the power wire to light it up. Probably the smallest amount of money you can spend on a boat. If you really want to refill it, there are a few videos on youtube of people refilling their Ritchies but it leaked for a reason and it will keep leaking after you refill it.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I have a large Ritchie compass that definitely needs fluid added. I suspect it was originally filled with mineral oil, but I am not sure when it was manufactured. West Marine wants to sell me 20 bucks worth of Isophril L, when a couple of bucks worth of mineral oil (which I already have) will do the job . I suspect my compass is over 20 years old. I don't believe alcohol is currently in compass, because the residual film on underneath compass feel light oil in nature. However, I am concerned with compatibility, if current compass fill is not OIL?

And suggestions? I could try mineral oil and if that does not work then I could flush with alcohol and then start over with mineral oil?

First - Ritchie never used mineral oil to fill a compass (except for some old flat top compasses that used alcohol and water). What they did use to fill was mineral spirits. Way different and much more flammable. That's why in 2001 they changed to Isopar L - much less flammable.
Ritchie does sell a repair kit which can save you a significant amount of money depending on the model. I have a Voyager F83W flush mount with combi-dial. The going price for these is still over $100.00 new, while the repair kit runs about $35.00.
Like you, I thought maybe heat had caused the mineral oil to leak out over a long time, so I refilled it with mineral oil. This is how I know they didn't use mineral oil to fill my 1995 era compass! It did not work out well. I did manage to find a new old stock F83W (perfect) for less than $50.00 on ebay to replace it.

BTW, pull your compass and get the model and serial number off the bottom or lower portion. Ritchie's website has a list of manufacture dates by serial number for each model.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Reminds me to call Ritchie, I had (have) a similar issue. It's on the list...

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks to all. I suspect draining and refilling with mineral spirits, since I have gallons of the stuff in my garage, would be the cheapest fix. Boat is a 1986 and compass looks original. If spirits rapidly drains, I will contact Richie for repair price and also price new model. THX!!!!

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
You're going to want to get a small syringe to fill it with. The fill port is pretty small. I used an eye dropper and got stuff all over the place.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
You're going to want to get a small syringe to fill it with. The fill port is pretty small. I used an eye dropper and got stuff all over the place.

Cleaned out old time mustard squirt bottle worked well. Remember the ones in restaurants before we had to worry about asssss inserting poison into them. THX!!!!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I went thru this last spring. Was going to buy new until I saw what they sold for. $$$

Ended up replacing all the o-rings and fill port gaskets. The kits was @ $40. The trick is to refill without a bubble in the middle of the compass. I used the large syringes used for injectioning epoxy

Fill compass with mineral oil and put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Remove from freezer and top off a second time and seal. No more bubble

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
The compass has a leak and needs repair not just fluid. Ritchie will repair for a flat fee, but also a new compass cost in most cases between 40 and 80 dollars.

Not such a good idea anymore. Ritchie wants 117 bucks to refurbish. I can buy new one for about 130+ bucks. I fixed with Mineral spirits. THX!