Winter boating: What's the coldest weather you've boated in?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
ice fishing in June, in Canada... Need I say more....

You need help roffey. OHIP will cover it.

We did go out to the warm water out fall at the Hydro plant here once and break through about an inch of ice at the ramp in January. The first and last time for me. Getting out is one thing, getting the boat out of the ramp was a nightmare.

roffey

Commander
You need help roffey. OHIP will cover it.

We did go out to the warm water out fall at the Hydro plant here once and break through about an inch of ice at the ramp in January. The first and last time for me. Getting out is one thing, getting the boat out of the ramp was a nightmare.

Years back I lived in Napanee, some of the hard core boaters would take their jet ski out in Lake Ontario by the Hydro plant.

I've been trying to get OHIP to cover my prescription of Appletons rum for years but for some reason they don't seem to think its valid.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Scares me to think of going overboard when the water is really cold. There are two boaters near us who went into the Mississippi near Montrose, Iowa a couple of days ago. They and their boat are missing. I think when the water is nearly freezing, you'd have about 15-20 minutes tops before hypothermia took care of you. Boating in those conditions seems too risky to me.

roffey

Commander
I fell through the ice when I was 13. It was about 6 feet deep and I remember looking up at the hole I made and pushing off the lake bed through the hole and resting my arms on the ice trying to catch my breath. I was dressed for winter with boots, snow pants and heavy jacket. Every time I moved the cold water would take my breath away. If not for a cottager who just happened to be out side I don't think I would be writing this now, very scary.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Scares me to think of going overboard when the water is really cold. There are two boaters near us who went into the Mississippi near Montrose, Iowa a couple of days ago. They and their boat are missing. I think when the water is nearly freezing, you'd have about 15-20 minutes tops before hypothermia took care of you. Boating in those conditions seems too risky to me.

Every single year we get a few of these incidents when the ice goes out but the weather is warm for a day. Sometimes they find the victim floating with a life jacket on but deceased and more often than not, as many warnings and as cold as the water is, people don't bother to even wear an inflatable and then the divers are called in. Sometimes they make it out of the water to shore but that is as far as they go before they are overcome with hypothermia and die. Anybody can have a boat, canoe or kyak and there is no forgiveness in the water when things go wrong.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
The only thing keeping us off the lake is solid ice at the ramps. I put my boat away early this season but with an outboard you can enjoy the solitude and productive salmon fishing all winter on Lake Champlain if you can get to open water. An enclosure and Mr. Buddy heater makes it pretty comfortable. This isn't my rig but another local:

7nvWmv7.jpg

Getting out is one thing, getting the boat out of the ramp was a nightmare.

A general agreement to not pull the boat all the way out until most of the water has run off will keep the ramp pretty well usable...a bag of sand helps, too. It may not be the best for your impeller but I also turn the engine over for a few seconds with the kill switch pulled after haul out to get all the water out of the engine.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Years back I lived in Napanee, some of the hard core boaters would take their jet ski out in Lake Ontario by the Hydro plant.

I've been trying to get OHIP to cover my prescription of Appletons rum for years but for some reason they don't seem to think its valid.

I have a pal that has a trailer park in Napanee right on #2. It makes the Trailer Park Boys park look like Trump owns theirs.

As far as the script, you may be going about it the wrong way. Tell them you need "Applerummidromialkizone" and they will get it for you.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been out in my kayak at 22 degrees and won't be doing that again. I really prefer at least 50 and sunny.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I fished Texas and worst was when I had to beat the ice off the guides on my rod to get the line to move. Don't remember the temp.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Probably high 20s for trout season in PA and high 30s in the desert at night. Well have to see now that I'm back at it again and live an hour closer to the river.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Family tradition in eastern Illinois: After Thanksgiving dinner, men always go canoeing so they don't have to wash the dishes, Women always wash the dishes so they don't have to go canoeing, probably went out as cold as 20F.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Family tradition in eastern Illinois: After Thanksgiving dinner, men always go canoeing so they don't have to wash the dishes, Women always wash the dishes so they don't have to go canoeing, probably went out as cold as 20F.
No offense IIIINOID, hand me a sponge. Lol if the canoe had power maybe, but probably not. Rather be inside in the warm talking about my boat. Lol

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Lately around here, I would grab the oar and get to stepping. It's been mild the last few years on Turkey day.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
No Title

Went for opening of new boat launch late in year on the river was 50 and sun shining .Decided to take Son and grand daughters and told them to dress warm .Boat does almost 50 mph and only one other john boat there who got this pic as we flew buy . Forgot about wind chill with 120mph fan ,this is how we looked after about 10 mile run. Human popsicles came to mind but we got to warm in the sun when stopped at the Dam to turn back .

Attachments

• photo258019.jpg
    photo258019.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The only thing keeping us off the lake is solid ice at the ramps. I put my boat away early this season but with an outboard you can enjoy the solitude and productive salmon fishing all winter on Lake Champlain if you can get to open water. An enclosure and Mr. Buddy heater makes it pretty comfortable. This isn't my rig but another local:

7nvWmv7.jpg

A general agreement to not pull the boat all the way out until most of the water has run off will keep the ramp pretty well usable...a bag of sand helps, too. It may not be the best for your impeller but I also turn the engine over for a few seconds with the kill switch pulled after haul out to get all the water out of the engine.

Ice on the ramp was a problem but the worst thing was the water at he ramp had frozen over and had to be broken up. It was thicker then when we headed out.

A rule of thumb when we used to downhill ski. 30 F at 30 MPH for 30 minutes = Frostbite, 20+20+20= Frostbite, 10+10+10 etc. It would apply boating in winter I suppose. I guarantee I am not getting frostbite while boating.

I was told a few guys went out on Erie in the Niagara area for perch last week. Temps were +5C to +8C.

RGrew176

Commander
I don't remember the year exactly but it was either 1990 or 1991. It was November 7th and I had an appointment to have my then 1963 Chris Craft Constellation pulled for the winter. I arrived early and along with my son I decided to make one last trip out onto Lake Erie. It was a totally calm, not a stitch of wind of any kind. It was also overcast. We headed out onto Lake Erie. It was flat as a mirror since there was no wind. The only movement of the water was from our wake. After a short final run we headed back into the Raisin River in Monroe MI. On the way back in snow started falling. The flakes fluttered back and forth as they fell in a calm no wind environment. The temperature was 28* as I remember. This particular boat was a hard top so it was not as cold as it would seem.

That is the latest I have ever been out on the waters here although last year I came close as I pulled November 6th. That day is forever etched in my memory for some reason. Even my son who was 10 or 11 at the time still remembers that day.