instaled the Lenco Actuators on my flotation PODS!!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I loved the addition of the large flotation pods that were welded to the back of my 2070 LOWE...really lifted the stern. but it killed my top end by literally putting the brakes to the water when trying to get the bow up for WOT running...so as one aspect of my boat rebuild this summer I cut the pods off and fashions up some huge hinges and looked into electric trim tab actuators for making my pods dynamic. push them down for max lift as static or slow speed...then pull them up out of the way so I can maximize top end speed without the dragging pods... with the transom being the boat hinge point for bow lift 24" of pod BEHIND the transom went DOWN into the water, when the bow tried to lift.....thus killing the bow lift... I welded the hinges on as well as the Actuator attachments....works great and I can stand on the pod without the pod moving!! very rigid and sturdy.

2mwfp4y.jpg

bg3huv.jpg

a4yjvq.jpg

bob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Looks like a lot of power (V6?)for that boat. How long is that hull?

Time for a new prop?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Looks like a lot of power (V6?)for that boat. How long is that hull?

Time for a new prop?

20.5 ft before the pods......

that prop was brand new and this past Saturday the lower unit got hung up on the prop wash gravel bar at the local lake. they dropped the water 6 feet....so now the hump of gravel was only down about 1 foot with a hole in front of it!...I just trimmed up the motor more to clear and it actually pushed the boat up onto the trailer more!!! and the result was that one blade got a chip taken out!!! GRR... the saving grace is that I bought a new 15 pitch prop that I didn't have time to install before the trip( chipped one is a 17 pitch)...soo my newest prop that is supposed to get me more in my rpm range...didn't get damaged

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to say that is an interesting install. And you can easily have the chipped prop repaired and keep as a back up. JMHO

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Do you need the floatation provided by the pods? I would not think a 20 footer would need it. I have a 21 footer with the same powerplant. The displacement of the hull carries the weight of the motor easily. Heck I could carry twins, if there was sufficient room for them.

​Sorry if I am off topic.....

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Do you need the floatation provided by the pods? I would not think a 20 footer would need it. I have a 21 footer with the same powerplant. The displacement of the hull carries the weight of the motor easily. Heck I could carry twins, if there was sufficient room for them.

​Sorry if I am off topic.....

absolutely...this is a duck boat...you can never float too shallow!!! is your transom 25"...... the jackplate put the weight further back making the situation worse....this boat has only a 20" transom......when I had the V4 on could motor with the jack plate all the way up in about 8" of water...with the keel just almost dragging!!!! I could do 10 mph or more maybe 12 before the stern would want to dip and the bow rise.....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, a duck boat with aV6 motor. You must have a ways to travel to get them.

Here on the Jersey shore, they use 10' Sneakboxes with 6HP 'Rudes, painted dead, dull grass. Pettit used to make a paint color just for that use. Not sure they still do.

​I have thought about pods on my 16' speedboat, as it has a Merc V6 and she sits low in the water.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Mod EDIT

Yeah..... I need to run 10 miles sometimes from the launch to get to some spots.....

Last edited by a moderator:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
View My Video

got a short video of the pods in action..... they have very little effect when retracted at high speed.... and I get all the lift I can use when I deploy them down when in shallow water.......