Bass boat steering conversion

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is it ok to remove the steering console from a small bass boat(14-16ft) and convert it to tiller steering to add more space?
I found an old chrysler bass boat and would like to basically strip it down completely and just have an empty floor with a couple seats, nothing else.

Willyclay

Captain
Sounds doable but a picture or two would help answer questions like: 1. Does the boat have a fiberglass hull?, 2. What structure will be left to maintain the proper shape of the hull if you "basically strip it down completely and just have an empty floor with a couple seats"? I converted a 15 foot ski-boat into a CC and had to deal with the same issues. Good luck!

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sounds doable but a picture or two would help answer questions like: 1. Does the boat have a fiberglass hull?, 2. What structure will be left to maintain the proper shape of the hull if you "basically strip it down completely and just have an empty floor with a couple seats"? I converted a 15 foot ski-boat into a CC and had to deal with the same issues. Good luck!

I have not purchased the boat yet and have no pictures. Yes, it has a fiberglass hull. It has no motor, but I have a tiller handle outboard that I could put on it and basically just want to remove the console and sit in the back and steer. It would still have the wooden floor for support.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Careful with how much power you put on the back. From what I've seen, a boat with a steering system is always rated for more power than the same boat with tiller steering. I assume it's a 'control' and weight distribution thing. As for going from steering method one to the other there's no reason you can't do it. Pay attention to what Willyclay said about structural integity.

My .02

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Careful with how much power you put on the back. From what I've seen, a boat with a steering system is always rated for more power than the same boat with tiller steering. I assume it's a 'control' and weight distribution thing. As for going from steering method one to the other there's no reason you can't do it. Pay attention to what Willyclay said about structural integity.

My .02

exactly. there are two tables for rating boats with outboards. one with tiller steering, one with remote. from what I remember, the tiller is rated about 60% of the power that a boat with a steering wheel is.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not to throw a cog into the gears, but if you are setting this "maybe boat" into a fishing setup, wouldn't a bow setup be more conducive to better fishing and control/steering? You could always setup even a stick steering control for that option. JMHO

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Not to throw a cog into the gears, but if you are setting this "maybe boat" into a fishing setup, wouldn't a bow setup be more conducive to better fishing and control/steering? You could always setup even a stick steering control for that option. JMHO

It sort of depends on the type of fishing and where you do it.

Around here most serious fisherman have open tiller boats up to about 23', it allows for much more room. The down side is being out in the weather all the time, not even a windshield to protect you at speed. These boats give you the most versatility for every type of fishing.

If you head out to bigger water more often the style changes to more protected and comfortable designs.

Every location and fishery is different.

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Planned on putting a 20hp on it if I buy it.
I think the max hp is 55hp. I was hoping that by getting rid of some weight a 20hp would push it around good enough to get me where I need to go.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There are 14-16' boats that can move around easily and plane with a 20, and there are other's that won't even come close to getting on plane. Post some pics and someone may be able to give you a better idea.

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm going to go check it out this weekend. It is about 100 miles from where I live. Guy said he has a lot of other boats also. So I may end up buying another similar boat that would work better for me. I'm probably going Saturday. I'll see what I can find and hopefully come up with something that will work. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks.

mr 88

Commander
20 hp on a glass boat will be underpowered. especially with you sitting in the stern. Stripping it isn't going to remove enough weight. Aluminum probably would be ok. Should be at least 65%of rated hp to perform decent.

Last edited:

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well I went and checked it out today. What a waste of time!!! I found the boat on craigslist at some kind of used boat dealership. I called and got their address for directions. I typed the address into google and the result that came up for that address:Strip club...I let it slide and went anyway. The craigslist add showed a decent looking line up of old boats. When I arrived, i was surprised to find what I would call a boat junkyard. There were old junk boats well beyond repair everywhere. None of the boat trailers would have made it a 1/4 mile. All of the boats were fiberglass. No aluminum. They had one small bass boat that was in great condition, but the transom was caved in from being over-powered. I found nothing that was fixable. Turns out the place was a closed strip club turned used boat dealership. also the lady said if I bought a boat she would send the title in the mail in about a week. Didn't sound to promising. Well I just thought I would explain my experience today. I'll try to find a used boat elsewhere, and am looking for aluminum only.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Your experience maybe a thread on TLC boat listings on Craig's List. I hope you took some pics. I hate wasting time shopping. We have Kijiji here in Canada and the listings can be a ridiculous waste of time. I don't like these sites. There was a murder of a young husband and father selling a truck locally here a few years ago, there are some sick people out there and I don't want to deal with them. I was selling an outboard and guys that looked like tweekers showed up and were looking at everything I had besides the outboard.

As far as converting from a council to a tiller anything is possible. We are a group of a few guys that work out of a shop that has turned into a small Marine business. Usually I find guys want to switch from tiller to centre or side council. They are tired of getting a face full of cold water on the river or lake. The thing I would look for if you see a boat that you may want to switch over is the depth of the transom to take the engine you may have sitting waiting for a boat. If you want a tiller, go find a tiller with a boat and sell the 20 you have. If I were 20 years younger my disappointment may have been that the "peeler" joint was closed. A strip joint slash Marine dealer isn't a bad business concept.

I would think installing a 20 HP tiller on a rig that is rated for 55 would be severely underrated. Like Mr88 stated taking a few seats out won't reduce your gross weight much at all. A side council on a 15 or 16 footer wouldn't take much room from your walkable area. I personally would always want a wind shield in front of me if only to stay drier. You aren't going to be comfortable with more than 2 persons on board a boat that size, especially fishing. There was a time 3 of us fished from a 15 foot with tiller. No one could stand safely when on the river and more than a few fish were lost. Find a tiller set up and sell the 20.

Willyclay

Captain
Sorry to hear Plan A did not work out but there are lots of used boats. Good deals available this time of year that go away quickly when Spring gets here again. Be patient and remember that condition is the biggest factor. Good luck!

88evinrude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
id say you should be able to easily find an aluminum hull to fit your needs fairly cheap. goodluck in the search