Please help identify 12 foot Aluminum V-Hull

cprodave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, a while back I bought a lightweight aluminum v-hull from a young man who was moving from North Carolina to out-of-state. I intended to use it just as a rowboat, i.e. no motor and therefore no registration required. I didn't worry too much that he had lost title, registration etc (the boat had belonged to his grandfather--in Michigan, I think) and I didn't see the normal Manufacturing Plate. Also, several coats of paint on the exterior of the hull obscured any Hull ID that might be there. Now I would like to add a motor and register the boat. For registration purposes, our state folks indicate that I can make a best guess as to the manufacturer, butI'd like to be accurate if at all possible. The boat is 12feet long (not 11 1/2 or 12 1/2) has 48 inch beam, 3 built-in aluminum seats, 1 Transom Support and drain plug hole on the starboard side of the transom. The boat is extremely lightweight (which is reason I bought it--so I could lift it by myself--I'm guessing well under 100 lbs, maybe 75lbs? StarCraft 11foot "Cartopper" model is spec'd at 115lbs, this boat is lighter than that. Any best guesses you folks can make from attached photos will be much appreciated! Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_0716.JPG
    IMG_0716.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0717.JPG
    IMG_0717.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0718.JPG
    IMG_0718.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0719.JPG
    IMG_0719.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0724.JPG
    IMG_0724.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess on vintage would be late 50's early 60's based on the rounded gunwales and rear corner caps

thought it may be a feathercraft, however the bow area would be more covered

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How many boaters do you intend to go boating with, as to choose the right HP motor ? 2 strokes are lighter than 4 strokes if plan putting and removing after outing.

Happy Boating

Brandon5778

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's weird, that boat looks exactly like the old rowboat my grampa had in his pond while I was growing up.. My little brother just recently ressurected the half sinking thing and he could carry it easily with his buddy (they are 13) so I'm guessing its around the same weight.. I can't help you with identifying anything right now but maybe next time I'm out that way I'll take a closer look at it. :)

Does yours have foam under the seats?

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

Not to discourage you, but understand you're looking for a needle in a haystack. You might well be able to figure it out, but between the 50s and 80s there were a zillion boat manufacturers for light boats that appeared and disappeared. It's gonna' be a bit of a struggle to figure it out.

I doubt there's a HIN buried on that boat anywhere. I'm guessing it's a little newer than Ted thought - 60s or early 70s. There's a library of aluminum boat manufactures you can look through HERE.

cprodave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks to all for your input. Brandon5778 yes please take a look next time you get a chance and let me know what you find. Yes there is foam floatation under all 3 seats. Also the middle seat has a support strut going to the floor. SeaRider, most of the time I will use this boat alone?I weigh 170, add another 3 pounds for 3-5 gallons of gas, anchor, fishing gear. I have run this boat with a 37lb Evinrude 2stroke 4HP and a 54lb Johnson 2stroke 6HP?it planes even using the 4HP and zips along pretty good using the 6HP. My wife (115 lbs) goes with me sometimes and the boat plows (won?t plane)even with the 6HP. Some OMC 8HP 2strokes weigh the same 54lbs as my 6HP?I have my eyes looking for one if I can get it at a fair price. Southkogs, thanks for the link, I counted around 93 aluminum boat manufacturers?I will have fun with your link looking for that ?needle?. Taking a quick glance at the FeatherCraft 1964 catalog it looks a lot like a CT12 (Cartopper 12ft). It might help if I knew the weight of the boat more precisely. Any ideas how to weigh it (short of throwing it in my truck and going to a Weigh Station? ) I was thinking of having a friend stand with me on separate bathroom scales in my driveway?we each pick up one end of the boat and then observe the increase in weight for each of us. Or I could lift it by myself and observe the increase in weight on bathroom scale. But I don?t want to break the scale?2 scales might be safer!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Only need one scale. Weigh the stern on the scale and then the bow. Add 'em up and you have the weight within a couple of pounds.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The corner caps and knee brace look the same as my 1971 1436 Montgomery Wards Sea King jon boat. The info I have is it was made by Delhi which was owned by StarCraft.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Thats ^^^ much more likely then it being a Feathercraft. Nothing I see in the pix remotely matches anything I've seen on Feathercrafts.

southkogs

Staff member
The corner caps and knee brace look the same as my 1971 1436 Montgomery Wards Sea King jon boat. The info I have is it was made by Delhi which was owned by StarCraft.

Monkey Wards was based in WI, too. There were bunches of those stores through Michigan. I'm with JB - hunt that idea down.

cprodave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys for additional info about Corner Caps, Knee Braces and easy method to weigh. I'll borrow a bathroom scale from a neighbor (my wife is allergic to bathroom scales...lol) and do some more investigation (this might take a couple weeks) then I will Post an update. Thanks again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

cprodave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks folks-- from the link that Scott Danforth sent (thanks Scott!) , I am confident that I have a Sea King based on the middle seat support , features around the transom and pattern of rivets on the sides. You folks are great detectives-- you "found the needle in the haystack"!

Next mystery is where is the Hull ID? My boat has so many coats of paint, it will be difficult to find the Hull ID unless I know exactly where to remove the paint...

Unless anybody can advise exactly where I should remove the paint to inspect, I will contact the Dawsonville GA Seller per Scott's link ..although I'm reluctant to bother him/her...given that I have no genuine interest in buying their boat.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Seriously doubt it had a HIN originally, but if it did, it'd be where they are all SUPPOSED to be, top outside starboard area of the transom. HINs started after 1972, and it might have a state issued HIN, but it wont provide any details about year or maker, might indicate what year the state issued the HIN, but it might not.

Use a good paint stripper, Aircraft Stripper is very aggressive and nasty stuff.

cprodave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks jbcurt00, very helpful to know HIN's were not required before 1971 or 1972. I bought this boat as a "package deal" (it belonged to the young man's grandfather) including a 1969 Johnson 6HP (sweet little motor BTW) so I am going to assume the SeaKing boat is around 1969 model also--then I can proceed to get NC WRC to assign a HIN.

Thanks again to all who helped me with this mystery.