Marine Survey question

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
So where I live there is really only boat dealers that would check a boat and you would hope they are honest and capable. I could be looking at a boat that is located were there is a much better chance of getting an actual Survey done. I have a few questions about them. #1 Are the Surveyors accountable for their inspection if they do not find major problems associated with the boat? #2 What is a normal price for 22' Cuddy I/O inspection( ballpark, I realize every region could be different)? #3 Is there any licences or training/accreditation they should have ( I live in Canada)? What should I be asking for or know before I book an inspection. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
SAMS would be the accreditation to look for.

Estimate $500 cost

Typically there is a lot of boiler plate language and limited liability to the survey, so that is does not serve as a guarantee of a boat's condition. Still well worth doing, but it is in your interest to get someone that is highly recommended. Usually you can google search the surveyor's name.

mr 88

Commander
What year is the boat,what kind of driveline is it,how much are they asking for it. Most boats under 23' and limited accessories are not usually surveyed. The surveyor does not go into depth with the engine,[ no compression test,] they do check to make sure all gauges/controls work. So if the engine is questionable for any reason you need to get a local mechanic to give it a health survey. Sometimes you go with your gut feeling after looking it over and tapping around with a hammer. How was it stored? Does sellers house look like a bomb hit it ? Basically does it look like it was taken care of ? A sea trial is a big plus,but at this time of the year in Canada the odds are the boat has been winterized and they are not going to want to sea trial it unless you throw some money down.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Having the dealer "survey" the boat is a bad idea. Conflict of interest.

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
Yea, sea trial right now is kinda out of the question -5*F here now and 20-30mph breeze(pretty normal temp. for this time of year). The next 4 months guaranteed will be froze up. But I think a survey could still be done, the boat is stored inside. I would never trust a dealer's survey unless there was binding statements in the bill of sale.

jkust

Rear Admiral
It seems everything boating related is hyper-regional. I had a survey done last fall for an 18 foot boat and it was $2000 which was the starting price for a survey from an accredited surveyor of which there are less than a handful in my state. No idea how things go in Canada.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
have an independent reputable marine shop do it... or if you know a friend who's a mechanic....or better yet a friend who knows boats and is a mechanic :), compression test the engine, check the basics over... save yourself $500,, if the seller objects, run fast... and dont look back

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
I am a Heavy Equipment Tech so, the mechanical side of the boat is something I can check over quite well. My main concern is the structural condition of the boat (Hull, stringers, transom, floor, ect.) I do not want a rotten boat.

mr 88

Commander
It seems everything boating related is hyper-regional. I had a survey done last fall for an 18 foot boat and it was $2000 which was the starting price for a survey from an accredited surveyor of which there are less than a handful in my state. No idea how things go in Canada.

Holy crap ! I had my 28' done in Mystic Ct. by a accredited one as well, 650 and that was a land and water survey over two days..... To the OP ,if you list the MFG, price, specifics [length/accessories/hours/canvas/condition of interior] along with the type and make of power you will get enough good advice on here that you should be able to skip a survey. You have the mechanical end but some drives are no longer made or have historical issues that forum members will point out. Post as much info as you can...

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In BC a marine survey does not include a mechanical inspection. Most marine surveyers are not mechanics. I only got a mechanical inspection done once, when I first bought my current boat, and it was considerately more expensive than the marine survey. Because of the age of my old boat I have to get it surveyed every 5 years for the insurance company, but this does not include a mechanical inspection.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
hard to find 'independent' if you are buying from a dealer or a broker. regionally they all know each other and will make the sale happen unless something really, really bad. Old boys network.

my survey returned 'carpet needs cleaning' as a finding. I already owned boat for a couple years so I knew what I had but needed survey for insurance. Similar to my first house where I used the selling brokers inspector. Last time i did that now when I buy a house, or if I'll ever need another boat survey I'll pay to bring someone from a few hundred miles away.

roffey

Commander
Here in Ontario, the buyer pays for a house inspection. The problems with the seller providing the inspections are the inspector is not accountable for anything and does not need to be a builder or even have any experience building and as such if you don't like what he reports just get another inspection or inspector. I was told a marine inspection is different, the inspector is accountable and has accreditation.
http://www.marinesurvey.org/canadian...s/ontario.html

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
Holy crap ! I had my 28' done in Mystic Ct. by a accredited one as well, 650 and that was a land and water survey over two days..... To the OP ,if you list the MFG, price, specifics [length/accessories/hours/canvas/condition of interior] along with the type and make of power you will get enough good advice on here that you should be able to skip a survey. You have the mechanical end but some drives are no longer made or have historical issues that forum members will point out. Post as much info as you can...
See my other thread, that is the boat I am interested in. I have read a bit on some survey techniques, but really know nothing about fiberglass. The boat is not in a heated shop so if some wood is wet it could be misleading because it might be frozen. I really do not think this boat is rotted. I have talked to the owner and He stated is is a '89 model and from what I have found every boat man. in that era just used plywood. So odds are still high that it could be. So any in depth realistic checks (not drilling holes), for the hull/structure of the boat are very welcome.

mr 88

Commander
The Volvo engine is a Chevy block with Volvo in most cases using there own exhaust manifolds a few other bolt on parts. Any questions about the outdrive should be directed at the dedicated Volvo forum on here. The boat LOOKS solid but its a picture. What are they asking for it and how many hours on the engine.? A 1988 like your setup in my area would be in the 3500 range.

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
Got some good history from the current owner, boat has just over 600hrs on it. The previous original owner barely used it, the current owner is buddies with the marina that took care of it and the maria guys told him it was most years unwinterized for original owners when they came out to the lake once a year for a couple weeks, then rewinterized and stored inside the rest of the year. Everything is original in the boat. The current price is good for our market $6500CAD.

Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
I think its high,but your in Canada and that's Canadian dollars and as you noted and must of researched its a good price in your market. I would tap around the transom and the stringers to make sure the sound is all the same. More of a ping than thud sound. The rest of the hull is solid glass so there is no worry about rot anywhere else. The floor may be plywood with carpet over it so make sure there are no soft spots. The floor can be replaced relatively easy down the road if it ever came to that. Try to look at the engine mounts/transducer and anything else drilled/screwed into the stringers and transom for signs of water intrusion. Engine hours are a below average so that's good along with the fact it was at least used once a year and not sitting for a decade with all the rubber seals etc. drying up. If that all checks out and your happy with the history along with the overall condition I would offer something like 5 to 5500 at this time of year and see where you get with it. There isn't going to be a line of people trying to buy it now.Your not going to be going for a sea trial and you can let them know that in your negotiations.I personally would not bother with a survey for that size boat and price if your satisfied with everything you inspected. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Last edited:

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
I think its high,but your in Canada and that's Canadian dollars and as you noted and must of researched its a good price in your market. I would tap around the transom and the stringers to make sure the sound is all the same. More of a ping than thud sound. The rest of the hull is solid glass so there is no worry about rot anywhere else. The floor may be plywood with carpet over it so make sure there are no soft spots. The floor can be replaced relatively easy down the road if it ever came to that. Try to look at the engine mounts/transducer and anything else drilled/screwed into the stringers and transom for signs of water intrusion. Engine hours are a below average so that's good along with the fact it was at least used once a year and not sitting for a decade with all the rubber seals etc. drying up. If that all checks out and your happy with the history along with the overall condition I would offer something like 5 to 5500 at this time of year and see where you get with it. There isn't going to be a line of people trying to buy it now.Your not going to be going for a sea trial and you can let them know that in your negotiations.I personally would not bother with a survey for that size boat and price if your satisfied with everything you inspected. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Thanks, all good info that helps, will post how I make out with the purchase

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was new to surveyors when I bought my first cabin cruiser last June (Sea Ray 270). I got a list of local surveyors and asked each dealer and broker which one's they recommended, and which one's they didn't like. There was one that most dealers didn't like, so I picked him.

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
I was new to surveyors when I bought my first cabin cruiser last June (Sea Ray 270). I got a list of local surveyors and asked each dealer and broker which one's they recommended, and which one's they didn't like. There was one that most dealers didn't like, so I picked him.

Wow I would not know what to think if most of the dealers did not like the surveyor, I guess the question would be why. Did he not sway to their liking by looking out for the customer or just poor inspections and cost them down the road?

tpenfield

Staff member
Dealers would tend to like a surveyor who was not overly thorough or critical. So it makes sense to go with the opposite.