Would this bother you?

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
I store in indoor, full-service headed marine storage over the winter with a reputable service provider in the area. The boat came out mid October, and this is how I found it when I went to check on it this past weekend..

The canvas is probably 15+ years old, if not original, and I try to baby the heck out of it to keep it in good order as long as possible.I found myself rather disappointed (closer to completely irate) that it hadn't been properly rolled and stored if they needed to take it off for some reason, and that it's been sitting like that for presumably two and a half months.

am I over-reacting, or is this poor service that could cause the isinglass to crack shortly? (you can see what look to be permanent / well set in creases now that i've put it back up)

Attachments

• photo256191.jpg
    photo256191.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256192.jpg
    photo256192.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256194.jpg
    photo256194.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256193.jpg
    photo256193.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I would think this would be the best way and with less stress on the canvas for indoor storage. Just my opinion :)

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I would think this would be the best way and with less stress on the canvas for indoor storage. Just my opinion :)

You are not alone with that opinion. I deliberately lay my canvas out on a table or something for the whole off season. I think it is better for it to be out than rolled up in a shape that it is not used to. Think about it the canvas is meant to be flat and extended. As long as the canvas isn't being stretched I think it is fine.

It would only make me mad if I had specifically told them to roll them up

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd probably be inclined to agree with the "flat and laid out" approach if I had the space and clean environment to so so. It's more the tight bends / folds above that I'm concerned about .

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
To me, what they did shows a lack of regard for you. You obviously wanted it stored with the camper canvas up. What you want (and pay for) apparently is not as important as what some employee wanted. While I can't think of a good reason for them to do that, I doubt complaining will change anything. You might want to check your agreement/contract to see if they stipulate what their responsibilities and your responsibilities are. If they aren't responsible for damage to canvas and such, I'd be sure to roll it up and store it inside beforehand.
Nobody will take care of your stuff as well as you.

Edit: Shouldn't they have put the outdrive down while they were in there messing up your canvas?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun would solve most all of those issue in my opinion. Calm down and don't let your health get all wrapped up with such things. After all, your health is tons more important then any material will ever be. Again, just my honest opinion. I've learned after getting older that some things in life, that use to really bother me, are simply no longer that important or worrisome. JMHO

Oh, and there is one little saying that I now seem to take to heart; It is better to be pissed off, then pissed on

shrew

Lieutenant
We take our canvas off in the fall. If the boat is stored inside in heated storage, who cares? It's not going to get rain or snow load. I would not assume that boat storage includes canvas and isinglass removal unless it was listed as part of the services rendered in the contract. I paid someone to shrinkwrap my boat this year (I usually do it myself). He specifically asked me "Do you want me to take down your canvas for you, or do you want to do that yourself". It needs to be done to shrinkwrap, I assumed that was part of the job. He then asked "Where do you want me to put it". Was there an agreement or discussion ahead of time?

I would say 'no harm, no foul'. I would not have thought twice about this upon arrival if it were me. I can't tell you you don't have the right to be upset, but I, personally, would not have been.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I'd probably be inclined to agree with the "flat and laid out" approach if I had the space and clean environment to so so. It's more the tight bends / folds above that I'm concerned about .

Why not lay it out over the winter in either the v-berth or the aft cabin of the boat? I don't store my boat with the camper canvas. Whether it's slipped or on the trailer. IMHO a cockpit cover it much easier to put up and take down. Also a lot cheaper to replace when it gets old. Plus it keeps the sun off the interior upholstery.

And yes ti would make mad that they left the camper canvas like that. Very sloppy & unprofessional IMHO.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral
I paid for indoor storage with my previous boat and they ran out of space which of course they never mentioned so they went ahead and stored it outside with no cover of any type on out in the open to which it collected 6 months of snow and rain with the bow down destroying the boat as a total loss. Would I be mad at your situation, yes maybe a bit annoyed.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
To the OP - it would depend on what my agreement was with the entity beng paid to store he boat. If it's a contract like I have with my marina for indoor winter storage, it only protects them, says nothing about what they'll do. If that's the case, I'd be annoyed at least, and would take my business elsewhere at worst.

+1 on storing with camper canvas,frame, etc safely stored elsewhere, and leave it with them as empty as possible, cockpit cover on.

jkust - what did they do for you after they destroyed your boat? Last season, I left my boat ready for them to store, and they didn't get it in before the first wet snows. To the OP - I calmly discussed my displeasure, and they took a few hundred off my next (slip) invoice. What's the expression?....

Thalasso

Commander
Isinglass should be stored in one of two ways. Loosely rolled with cloth in between to prevent scratching or flat. That last picture. I doubt those creases will come out. As for the rest, don't see that as a problem. Just put it back on as usual and it will be ok.

jkust

Rear Admiral
To the OP - it would depend on what my agreement was with the entity beng paid to store he boat. If it's a contract like I have with my marina for indoor winter storage, it only protects them, says nothing about what they'll do. If that's the case, I'd be annoyed at least, and would take my business elsewhere at worst.

+1 on storing with camper canvas,frame, etc safely stored elsewhere, and leave it with them as empty as possible, cockpit cover on.

jkust - what did they do for you after they destroyed your boat? Last season, I left my boat ready for them to store, and they didn't get it in before the first wet snows. To the OP - I calmly discussed my displeasure, and they took a few hundred off my next (slip) invoice. What's the expression?....

They denied it, deflected, obfuscated, lied, sent the non-English speaking workers to talk to me when I would show up, told me the boat was impermeable to water and was impossible, spoke to me like I was an idiot, changed the story each time I talked to them, and on and on. Pretty much the most unethical bunch of lying criminals I've ever encountered. My own insurance company went after them and I ended up receiving my agreed to value on my insurance policy which was the price I paid for the boat 7 years prior when it was new (technically had 20 hours on it). Used it for 7 years, and got my full purchase price back but took two years of hassle and fighting and pushing and follow ups and telling the story over and over and over to the insurance company because the "Manager" would change every call it seemed.