22 ft cuddy cabin head question

Darrenmb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im plugging along on my boat interior redo, but have a head door question, hard to.find pics of exactly what i need to see on net, so i am hoping someone here can either snap a pic or tell me what i need to know.
The area where my head (porta potty will sit is raised up from floor, (assuming thats so it can sit flat) does the head door go on top of that? Or does it sit in front? I am.guessing head door provides no privacy when in use, as i can see no way door would close as your feet would be in way. Am i correct in this assumption? Or am i missing something?
There is currently nothing at all in this area as previous owner obvioisly didnt boat with mixed company as head was totally removed, even wall is.gone, just a big open space.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

Darren

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Some pics of the area would help. If walls were removed, they should be put back if you want privacy, and some walls provide structure to the boat/hull. It might be compromised? I know some heads are pretty cramped, but if you need it, you have to deal with it. Let us see what you got!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Some heads use the door as a screen rather then a door when in use. Deoending on the width of the galley (guessing its near the head in your cuddy) walk space, you can the thickness of the door in 'floor' on the head side of it if the door is in front of the raised head platform. But would lose that space on the galley side of the door.

Conversely you'd have slightly less room on the head side of the door and gain that space on the galley side if the door fits above the raised platform.

IMO, even in a really cramped head, gaining the space taken by the door thickness is minimal at best. If the door is infront of and extends below the platform, the rest of the trim and wall surrounding the head need to match. So the loss of galley walkway space extends for the entire length/width of the head.

The last small, cramped head I used on a boat (early 60s 24ft Marinette aluminum cabin cruiser) had a full height door, in front of the platform, and the door was generally left open while in use.. The door was about 1.25in thick IIRC, and made of solid mahogany.

W it all missing, build it to suit you and your use of the boat.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Many choose to use a curtain rather than a door due to the difficulty of getting things to line up and match.