maintenance for aluminum hull v. fiberglass?

oceanfrank

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking for a new boat that will be used in saltwater. I was under the impression that aluminum hulls were pretty much indestructible, but lately i've been reading stuff that makes me less sure.

Turns out people say that aluminum will corrode in salt water. Is this true? More importantly, is this something to worry about? Like, I'm much less worried about aluminum corroding in salt water if it takes 500 years and it needs to be in the water full time. and, I guess fiberglass will eventually break down in salt water, as well?

The other thing is, is this a realistic worry if I do even minor things like washing the boat down after use? I would trailer it and there is a water station at the marina, so if I just rinse it off after use, will the aluminum be fine?

I'll also say, I'll happily take any other thoughts about aluminum vs fiberglass. I thought I was pretty well versed on the subject, but if I overlooked this potential corrosion issue, what else did I overlook? I'm looking at a boat in the 22-25 foot range and my main concerns are first and foremost low-maintenance and secondly strength and thirdly weight. I was originally looking at aluminum because I'd happy trade off a more comfortable ride for a light boat that is low-maintenance and strong!

mr 88

Commander
A glass boat in that size range will ride a lot smoother in chop than a tin one s,hull design and weight are the big reasons.That alone would have me looking at glass,besides the fact that there is a bigger selection of used glass boats.

mr 88

Commander
I would buy a glass boat in that size range,bigger selection and a better ride in any size chop.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Here in the pacific northwest aluminum boats are probably just as popular as fiberglass. Aluminum can take a beating and we have lots of rocky beaches, dead heads in the water and other hazardous that aluminum handles much better than fiberglass. The stories about aluminum corroding in salt water are just that, stories! They are not true. Aluminum boats built using 5000 or 6000 series aluminum in the hulls are very corrosion resistant. All the navies and coast guards in the world use aluminum boats. Fire, police and resuce agencies use aluminum boats.

Taking care of aluminum is pretty easy. In fact aluminum is usually left bare because it forms its own oxide coating (no you can't see it) that protects it. Washing it will help to keep it looking good and actually help it last longer. Frankly both aluminum and fiberglass will last almost forever if you take care of them.

Aluminum boats are generally lighter than a same sized fiberglass boat so the FRP boat will ride a little better simply because it is heavier. The hull will be a little noisier unless it is insulated on the inside.

What you should be looking for is a boat that will meet your needs and not be too concerned with the hull material. Either one will do the job. Both will last if you follow routine maintenance and cleaning and take good care of it.

oceanfrank

Seaman Apprentice
thanks for the info! I have definitely heard that the right boat is more important than hull material... all else being equal, I agree!

I have been reading about weight, ride, all that. I was mostly trying to make sure that I wasn't missing something big. Like, if aluminum actually corrodes in salt water, that's a huge con.

How can I tell if a hull is 5000 or 6000 aluminum? I assume most are. But what about old boats? from the 60's 70s? Are they all 5/6000 series as well?

I also read that water soaks into fiberglass and that glass boats older than about a decade are a crapshoot. I definitely don't want a boat that soaks up water, you know?

So both are relatively maintenance free, it sounds like? I won't have major issues with either so long as I rinse them off and stuff?

thanks!

mr 88

Commander
True about the NW but if the OP is on the East coast there just isn't that many tins for sale in his range. Along with people not banging them off rocky bottoms as much as the PNW. Glass boats should not absorb water and boats older than a decade are not crap shoots. IF the hull is cored AND the mfg is suspect you may have issues and those are usually a result of the PO drilling and not properly sealing. There are a lot of variables with glass ,I/O-inboard/outboard come into play especially when your talking about a suspect transom. Most boats under 25-30 foot are not cored unless its a go fast hull. This is where a Surveyor comes into the picture. I have a 29 year old cored boat and its as tight/dry as the day it was made.Both hulls will have to be bottom painted if slipped and both are as maintenance free as you want them to be.You can wax a glass hull or just let it go depending on how much you care what it looks like.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No boat is maintenance free. The ones that are maintenance free are called donors!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Saltwater isn't caustic soda or acid, just like said take care of your AL boat and they're just fine. Besides what are you going to move the boat through the water with that isn't aluminum? I've never seen a fiberglass outboard or out drive...