Galaxie boat Info?

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
Hi, I am looking at this boat and have had trouble finding info on it, I am hoping someone can recognize the Brand (Galaxie) and the vintage along with some thoughts on quality through out. Add says it is 22' Cuddy with a Volvo 280(picture shows 290) and a 1998 model, looking at it and the vintage I am thinking this is an '88ish era boat? I have done some research and have seen there has been several companies with this name and very little info on each. The seller stores the boat at the lake several hrs away so a hull# is out of the question right now. I realize that the odds of the boat having no rot is very unlikely but the seller had always had it in covered storage and never left it in the water. To me(no expert) the pictures show that is has had little use and been well cared for. Any thoughts, history of the brand or boat is appreciated.
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Check the HIN - Hull Identification Number. It's usually molded into the transom, beneath the rub rail, on the starboard side. Right near where the propeller is sitting in the third picture. First three characters give you the manufacturer's identification code (MIC). Then look it up here:

http://www.uscgboating.org/content/m...tification.php

Last 2 digits of the HIN tell you the year of manufacture. Hope his helps.

Oh- and welcome to iboats :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
That looks like a real creampuff. I'd actually be surprised if it did have rot given how minty fresh everything looks.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Galaxy.. yep heard of them, I looked at one years ago.. volvo engine and drive on that one..... engine and drive are well made.. parts for it are available but more pricey than Mercs and Alpha drives, condition, condition, condition... insist on a compression check of the engine...drain some lower unit oil out of it, see if it's milky...if lots of metal filings coming out the gears may be on the way out.... inspect trailer hubs, bad bearings and you wont get far if you try to tow it.. for the right price it could be a steal.. make sure there's a clean title for both, and dont expect a 30 year old boat to run perfect.. it could be great, it could be a headache.. .. you can avoid much of the headache by through inspection.... good luck! suggestion.. if you buy it, buy a pedestal capt chair and get rid of what's there.. those seats don't offer a good view over the bow when in operation...

Last edited:

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
Thanks, for the replies, everything I can see so far looks like they took care of the boat. I guess my main concern in order would be #1 hull, stringers, transom and floor #2 The drive/leg assembly #3 engine(pretty easy to repair or replace) #4 interior and cosmetic appearance. #5 trailer. I was hoping to hear for some history on the boat and the company, like were they bottom of the barrel in quality and construction, how did the Hull Handle, I can see from the pics it has a good Deep V.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I was hoping to hear for some history on the boat and the company, like were they bottom of the barrel in quality and construction, how did the Hull Handle,

It really doesn't matter. The boat's nearly 30 years old. Condition, condition, condition are all that matter at this point. The best-built boat n the world will be mush by now if it wasn't taken care of. How will it handle? As you noted, it has a decent Vee. Oughta be fine for lake or bay use. If you plan to do a lot of offshore running you're looking at the wrong boat.

My .02

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I think there's been a few Galaxie's done on here. Nothing noteworthy quality wise. Probably low mid-tier to mid-tier construction.

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
Thanks again for the info, I find this forum much more friendly than others. You post about an older boat on some other forums and it is just a piece of junk that should be sent for scrap regardless of condition.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Yeah, I've been on those forums, too. Always a bigmouth or 2 or 3 who considers everyone else (especially a newb) to be a moron. I've been a member here since 2007 and IMO it's the best of the best. The discussions can get 'spirited' at times, but the members and moderators generally do an excellent job of keeping the lid on. We come here to help one another

My .02

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Note that there are Galaxie's --

galaxie.jpg

--and there are Galaxy's -- (this was my 2nd boat, at Lake Powell 1980)

galaxy.jpg

I believe the Galaxie's were the better boat...

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
The seller had stated that the boat was manufactured in California, I am pretty sure it is Galaxie.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I've been on those forums, too. Always a bigmouth or 2 or 3 who considers everyone else (especially a newb) to be a moron. I've been a member here since 2007 and IMO it's the best of the best. The discussions can get 'spirited' at times, but the members and moderators generally do an excellent job of keeping the lid on. We come here to help one another

My .02

My experience is that after you interact for a time, you learn who knows what. With that experience, you know when to object and when to support another person's response to a thread......aka bow out, or don't answer in the first place. Few "boomers" on here and the few that show up don't last very long. Seem they can't live with facts!