Need help in Crystal River Florida

Hi. I'm brand new to this forum. I live in Atlanta and have 3 vacation properties in Crystal River, Fl. I want to start offering my 19 ft. center console to the guests who rent my vacation homes so that they can go out fishing and I have some questions about boating and the waterways in the Crystal River area. Are there any Crystal River natives on this forum who might be able to help be out? If I have posted in the wrong section, I apologize. Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If your soliciting, you may want to read the rules

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think Wade was asking for help w this part of his post:
....I have some questions about boating and the waterways in the Crystal River area. Are there any Crystal River natives on this forum who might be able to help be out?

Correct Wade?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Seems to me a 19' boat may be more advanced than an inexperienced boater can handle, would think the insurance risk exposure would be prohibitive.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There are companies that specialize in renting boats, with the potential issues I think I'd let them handle it.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
one question for you: Do you care about your boat?
If the answer is yes, keep renters far away
If no, sure why not? Just make sure you got loads of liability insurance on that boat

also, it greatly depends on the kind of people you rent to. Are they gentlemanly fisherman or are they partying kids?

My suggestion: get a dinghy/Jon boat and they can use that if they really want to fish

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I wouldn't offer a boat for rent there.

The waters in Crystal River can run as shallow as 6 inches deep for long distances. Requires the right kind of boat and operator. Any boat can run aground, especially with new or inexperienced boaters.

Sure, the locals navigate the waters in airboats and shallow draft vessels with jack plates, etc. But that's not what you're offering.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
There are two boat rental companies that are huge down here. Most boats are 4 hours on the water, 1 hour of cleaning and at least 1 hour of repair.

The rental marinas have props and lower units by the truckload (not kidding, a 26' box truck load)

Thanks for the answers. Scott Danforth; I'm not selling anything. jbcurt00; Yes, I'm looking for info on the waterways in Crystal River. I was hoping to connect with someone who lives in Crystal River and has boating experience there.

Thanks to those who expressed concern about the size of the boat and the cost of insurance. I'm fully insured for my properties and my renters insurance covers my guests while they are at my docks, in the pools and in my kayaks or canoes on the water in the canals. I have a quote from a marine insurance company that insures boat rental companies and the premiums are very affordable for what I am wanting to do.

My guests are mature people and families. I screen my guests carefully and they pay large deposits before renting. My intent is to only make my boat available to those guests who are experienced boaters (those who own boats themselves, but fly in from up north and can't bring their boats with them).

There are a couple of pontoon boat rental companies in the area but they charge a lot of money and I would prefer to provide my guests with a boat that is already parked at the dock of the house when they arrive. In answer to the question; do I care about my boat, the answer is yes, but I care about my guests enjoyment of their vacation more.

I'm looking for a Crystal River native with personal boating experience in the area who can answer some specific questions about the Indian River leading to Crystal River, and about some of the canals. The safety of my guests is paramount so I want to make sure I have all the information needed.

When I have been in Crystal River I have seen lots of large center console boats in the canals around my properties so I know boats of that size and larger can easily navigate the area. But I have some questions about bridge heights at low and high tides, the true depth of some of the canals on a winter tide, speed limits on the river at certain times of the year, and other info I have been unable to find online.

If there are Crystal River natives on this forum who could provide just a few answers offline if necessary so we don't tie up the forum (unless it might help others to see the navigation info here) it would be very much appreciated. If this is not the correct forum to ask for boating and navigating assistance I apologize. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
the water in crystal river area is shallow and rock filled, novice boaters will tear up your boat in no time repair costs will probably make it not worth it I'm just down the road in Hudson and we spend a lot of time planning for tides

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. And thanks to Scott Danforth for offering to ask around at work. But I think we are talking about two different areas. The average depth of Crystal River within the navigation markers is between 5 and 15 ft depending on tides and the season. The depth of the Indian River leading down to Crystal River from my properties is 4 ft at low tide. There is an area nearby known as Ozello which is accessed by the Salt River and I'm wondering if that is the area you are referring to? The Salt River and waterway around Ozello is very shallow and dangerous. I would make sure my guests know to stay away from there!

The canals on which my properties are located are 14 ft deep at high tide and 4 ft. deep at the lowest winter tide (my boat drafts in 11 in. of water). I'm pretty sure that 4-14 ft. is the depth of the other canals in the area but I'm looking for a Crystal River native who can confirm that and let me know if there are any problem canals so that I can clearly mark them on a map to keep my guests away from them.

I'm also interested in the Indian River leading down to Crystal River from my properties. Very large boats traverse that tributary all the time, even on the lowest tide, but I have heard that there are a couple of places where if you get off to the side on a winter tide you might hit a rock. I'm hoping to get the exact location of those areas.

People come from all over the world to Crystal River (to swim with the manatees) and inexperienced boaters do rent boats from a couple of the local boat rental companies all the time. I'm sure they run aground from time to time but it appears not often enough to cause the rental companies any concern. Some of my guests have rented boats from those companies and complained about how unfriendly the staff was, how dirty and run down the rental boat was and how they wished I would provide them with a boat during their stay so they could get out on the water without so much hassle.

Just want you guys to know; I didn't post on here because I'm trying to rent out my properties, they stay booked 50 weeks a year and book up a year in advance. I don't need help in renting them out (please note that I have not tried to identify my properties or how to rent them). -- I'm also not trying to compete with any local boat rental companies. I'm also not trying to "get rich" renting out a boat .I'm just trying to get some specific info on the area that I can make available to my guests to make sure they don't wander into an area where they could get into trouble.

Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply to my post.

Anybody on this forum who lives in Crystal River?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I do rent places in Florida and I also rent boats while I’m there.

What I see is an additional cost and hassle for you, even if the cost can be controlled the hassle factor can be huge, the boat needs to be serviced, cleaned and repaired between each guest, is this something you'll be doing, or will you have someone else do it?

When I’m renting a house on the water I would like the option of having a boat at the dock, it would make it less of a hassle for me, not sure it would cost less though, probably more.

Thanks for the reply ondarvr. In answer to your question; if I could find a trustworthy and knowledgeable individual who lives near my vacation rental properties I would pay him or her to deliver the boat to my guests at the dock of the house they are staying in, to give them a "walkthrough" on the boat and the waterways and to clean the boat in between guests and take it for service when needed (just like I pay a cleaning and maintenance company to take care of my rental properties). I would probably also let that person keep my boat at their place for their personal use when my guests are not using it.

In regards to cost to the guest, it would cost my guests less because the deposit they put on renting my home(s) would also cover the deposit on the boat and for those who stay 30 to 90 days I would not charge them $100 a day deposit and $120/day rental fee for the boat like the boat rental companies do (for a 90 day stay that would end up costing them a fortune just for the rental fee). I would probably charge a flat fee of $500 for a 5 day rental and maybe $1500 for a 30 day stay. This is not about me making money, I make plenty on the rental of the homes. It's about giving my guests what they are asking for but doing it in such a way that they are safe on the water which will keep them coming back as loyal return clients for many years.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
At those prices I would jump on it, just not sure you'd like the arrangement long term with no additional money in it for you.