Winterizing - sorta!

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I've actually already winterized all the water systems and engine, but I want to keep the snow and ice off the boat, and possibly get some maintenance work completed before spring (still have the port lights sitting on a shelf).
​So today I started this "winterizing project". Hopefully I'll get the framing and poly completed tomorrow and pull the boat under the cover.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like it, A tarp and your in business. Not sure if you get snow in your region but if you do I wonder if the snow would pool in the area between the poles on top. Cheap and effective

boatman37

Lieutenant
i like it. maybe cut the center of the arches and install a T (pointing upwards) and run a pipe lengthwise (above the existing PVC) down the center to add support the whole length at the peak?

alldodge

Staff member
I like the idea, but being in W VA the snow may be an issue, and the pipes being that tall I don't think there is enough strength. Don't see enough bow all the way to the bottom. Sure hope I'm wrong.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
That appears to be a really large sail if the wind gets under it. How much wind do you get? I doubt you will have snow problems with that but I would be concerned with the winds.

RonJr70

Recruit
Been thinking about doing something like this but here in Nebraska we get high winds and heavy / wet snow and I think this would just end up being more hassle then it is worth.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
If only it were that simple.

Shrink-wrap it and let the repairs wait till spring.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everybody, I appreciate all the thoughts, ideas, observations, and posts. Every single one of them has gone through my mind over and over. Initially the plan was to shrink wrap but I was having a problem with the cost of something you can only use once. For close to the same amount of money (plus a lot more work) the high tunnel greenhouse should allow me to work on my project list through the winter and give my bride a nice greenhouse come spring. I did waffle back and forth between the two options quite a bit, which explains why I'm out there in the cold putting this thing together.
And just for the record - nothing is as easy as they say it is on youtube! :lol:
The whole thing is anchored to the ground with rebar, so I don't anticipate it blowing away. I am concerned about snow. The pipes are four feet apart, which may be too far for any heavy precipitation. I've got three thoughts on this:
1. pray for a mild winter
2. put a kerosene heater in with the boat
3. keep extra PVC pipe handy to add to the structure as necessary.
Moving back to Hawaii has a certain attraction too, though this boat is a bit small for that.

So here's todays progress -

Sadly, it gets dark about 5:15 PM here, and I don't get home from work until after six, so I may have to wait until Saturday to put the plastic on.

alldodge

Staff member
The 2x4 structure will stiffen it up some and gives me less concern about it falling down. With the 2x4 attached to the PVC the bow will have less effect and a bit ore strength, just my opinion

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Been thinking about doing something like this but here in Nebraska we get high winds and heavy / wet snow and I think this would just end up being more hassle then it is worth.

​I'd have to agree with you there. I considered one of those metal carports for about $3500.00 and enclosing the sides with vinyl siding or similar. A bit pricy, but I bet it wouldn't blow away.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Got some progress. Had to cut the poly and tape back together to get one big sheet. Got it mostly fastened to the frame. Need to finish tomorrow, but at least it's out of the weather in any event.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Curious how it is holding up if you got snow yet? How did you do the entrance?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Curious how it is holding up if you got snow yet? How did you do the entrance?

Some pretty high winds and heavy rains, but no snow yet. Monday temperature was low forties outside but mid sixties inside. I washed the boat and was quite warm.
I got lazy on the door. I made one that fit between the base and the upper 2x4. That makes it about 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide. Put it in the center of the bow end. That gives me more room to bring stuff in without bumping the boat. I did buy an 82,000 BTU torpedo kerosene heater to use when I get ready to seal the port lights. We'll see how well that works.