Newbie in need of a LOT of help

Davem5353

Cadet
Sam,
thanks for the suggestion on the Navionics app! I read a little bit about it and it looks like something I definitely could use.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Hey Dave, welcome and nice boat. I'm in York. I've boated on the Susquehanna at Goldsboro, Lake Clarke and Conowingo. We have a seasonal camp site at Raystown.

Davem5353

Cadet
Ezmobee, York? I'm in York today at one of our offices! Hey I may PM whenever I'm ready to put the boat in the water to pick your brain regarding where to go on the Susquehanna! Thank the good lord I found this site! Without all the help already I've gotten, I'd be dead in .... out of the water!

Waitara

Cadet
Hello. I'm new to this site, but I've been boating the Susquehanna since I took the Learn-To-Sail course in 2009. I've blown all over Lake Clarke in various sailboats, and caught fish from Bainbridge down to York Furnace from various little aluminum boats and kayaks. I've done a bit of crabbing and fishing in the bay too. Just before Christmas I bought a 16' aluminum Smoker Craft with a 70HP Yamaha and I'm going through a lot of the same stuff you are. Saturated flotation foam and reverse-engineering three decades of creative wiring. The previous owner recarpeted the boat with outdoor carpet from Home Depot. I was really impressed. I thought it was marine carpet until I asked where he got it. Mine is closed-loop but Velcro sticks to it. I think wrapping a little of the plastic-hook side of Velcro around filet knife and hook remover and they will stick wherever I put them.

Next up - pull up the (newer, aluminum) floor and replace waterlogged foam. Get livewell working, rewire, reinstall trolling motor, install floor drain to bilge, replace interior side panels (currently made from vinyl-covered mulch)
Then on to fun stuff: bimini top, new fishfinder/plotter, rod holders, and some vinyl name decals.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Hello Baylinerchuck, I appreciate the advice on the carpet. I was concerned since I've seen some posts about it being way to thin and the adhesive leaking through. I'll just make sure I use proper amount.
Also, I see your in the south central PA area? Do you boat on the susquehanna?

Sorry sir, I didn't see your post until now. I don't boat on the SusQ that often as I am closer to the Potomac around dam 4 and 5. I'll probably be down there a little more often this summer as now my brother in law has my old boat. I grew up in the glen rock shrewsbury area so I'm familiar with the lower Susquehanna. I'm in the chambersburg area now, so I typically boat the Potomac, Raystown, and make a trip or two to Lake Anna, and Bald Eagle time permitting.