Opinions on questionable catamaran hull design

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am currently looking at purchasing a new offshore boat and a very unique catamaran caught my eye. this is a boat built in 2004 with plans purchased from a company who builds these boats. the boat is 34x12 and is made of aluminum. the hull bottom is 3/16, the sides and cabin 1/8, and the rest of the boat consists of a mix of 1/8 and 3/16. the ribs, stringers and all framing are 1/4 plate. it's a very odd hull design with very shallow hulls. shallow enough for the area between each hull to sit in the water 2-4 inches while at rest. just by looking at these pictures would you think this would be a boat that pounds and sneezes a lot? my main use of this boat would be to fish a lot of people both insHore and offshore. the owners of the boat used it very little aND mainly for inshore fishing so the feedback isn't very accurate.

Attachments

• photo255780.jpg
    photo255780.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255781.jpg
    photo255781.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255782.jpg
    photo255782.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255783.JPG
    photo255783.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255784.jpg
    photo255784.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255785.jpg
    photo255785.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255786.jpg
    photo255786.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255787.jpg
    photo255787.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255788.jpg
    photo255788.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 0

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
"Pound and sneeze a lot"?.... I would say yes,.. I cant see it being good for more than a 2-3ft chop.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It all depends on what you're plans are for the boat and where you're going to use it. I don't know what sneezing means in regards to boat hulls but all of them will pound you at some point if you don't understand slowing down makes it stop the pounding.

The owner sure has an odd fascination with horses. :lol:

fetch

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know what sneezing means

fetch

Im sure you've seen flat bottom boats in chop,.. particularly a cat hull,.. when the chop reaches the height of hull they tend to "sneeze" water back out the front,.. it makes for a lot of spray over the bow.

southkogs

Staff member
Tri-hulls can do that to you too. I've never been on a cat in big water though - and I've never had a tri blow back enough water to come over the bow. I've got no clue how that boat would do ... those lifting "fins" on the sponsons are kinda' nifty. I wonder how high she comes outta' the water?

Can you get a test run in it?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
That boat draws a lot more than 2-4 inches! From the looks of it, it nearly sunk! Check out the water line. In particular, this picture is interesting. The back starboard corner probably spent time underwater. Given the fact of the uneven waterline, I'd be highly suspicious the boat didn't have some problem hiding in there.

fetch?photoid=10311399.jpeg

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Interesting? yes. Offshore? don't think so

And the fact it was used seldom, and mainly for inshore - could be cause for concern

southkogs

Staff member
That boat draws a lot more than 2-4 inches!
I think that's what I was seeing with the "fins." Kind of a hydrofoil effect maybe that means it might plane out kinda' shallow ... but she draws a bunch sittin' still.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
He was talking about the the span between the hulls drawing 2-4 inches, like you said, the entire thing is in the water at rest, and still sitting low.

Went back and re-read it, yeah he wasn't talking about draft. Still would be concerned, that uneven water line isn't good.

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tri-hulls can do that to you too. I've never been on a cat in big water though - and I've never had a tri blow back enough water to come over the bow. I've got no clue how that boat would do ... those lifting "fins" on the sponsons are kinda' nifty. I wonder how high she comes outta' the water?

Can you get a test run in it?

Can't get a test run on it. both motors and all electronic controls are junk. I've seen this boat where I fish for 11 years. I've seen it run twice. the numbers I hear are 32-35 cruise and 45-49 mph top with a light load. I'd be interested in a used repower with 350 yamaha outboards. those motors sell cheap around me. there are lots of catamarans up in Alaska with this hull design. mostly work boats. I've read that the reason for the space between both hulls to sit in the water is to provide stability in a quartering sea.

madman2021

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That boat draws a lot more than 2-4 inches! From the looks of it, it nearly sunk! Check out the water line. In particular, this picture is interesting. The back starboard corner probably spent time underwater. Given the fact of the uneven waterline, I'd be highly suspicious the boat didn't have some problem hiding in there.

I've talked to the owner about that. they had an issue with contaminated fuel on one tank and ran the boat just on the other tank for a little while. hence the reason for the uneven waterline.

southkogs

Staff member
... there are lots of catamarans up in Alaska with this hull design. mostly work boats. I've read that the reason for the space between both hulls to sit in the water is to provide stability in a quartering sea.
The thing has to have some moxie to it then, huh? I can see the sponsons digging in as a stabilizer - probably running lower speeds though.