Another Boat cover question. Sigh!

Trigger753

Recruit
I returned home after a trip to find the cover on my 2008 Z7 in tatters. "Original Dowco". My question is about TaylorMade and Shoretex. Go2Marine has a free upgrade to Ultima right now 391.00 with tie downs and vent poles. Iboats has the Travel Tuff with the accessories for 490.00. I haven't owned either of these manufactures products before. My last two covers came from Aurora. By the way Aurora covers in my opion are the best I have owned. But I'm selling this boat next spring so I'm not going to shell out the money for one. Back to my original question, does anyone have any experience with TaylorMade or ShoreTex? Not a lot to go on reading past forums. Any input would be appreciated. The good the bad the ugly. It all counts.
Lol. Before it starts. Yes I'm a Sunbrella fan. It's protecting my Crappie rig now. But above the price range on a boat that's going away.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
If it's going away, even a tarp will last a winter, if you know what I mean...

Trigger753

Recruit
I thought of that. Only thing is I did a complete wet sand of the boat. That was a chore. There is also the possibility that I'm going to let the local High Shool Bass team use it for a couple seasons. They have some great kids there who would like to participate but lack a boat. Thanks for the reply.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most covers dont stand up to towing as you found out.

I would look for a cover on ebay or CL for your boat, you may find an original Dow canvas one for under $100

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you want a boat cover to hold up in towing conditions then a custom fitted cover is needed and the people that will be making the cover need to know that it is for towing. Anything over the counter is just a storage cover!! I have been towing boats for almost 50 yrs with covers and when properly fitted with the correct material I normally get as much as 10 yrs from them. Some longer that were stored inside year round. Custom fitted is the ONLY way to make it work.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Dowco covers are not great covers. Custom made ones with Subrella are the way to go if you were keeping the boat but since you aren't just buy something cheap.

Don't count on most pre-made covers to be towable.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I've had decent luck with Safeguard covers and Vortex covers from Amazon. I have a more expensive one from iboats that is better but honestly it's not really THAT much better to be worth 3x the cost of the cheapie ones.

Trigger753

Recruit
Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger on a Shoretex Travel Tuff. Fits like a glove much better than the original Dowco. Absolutely no pooling or sagging.