Sonic Rodent Repellent While Storing Boat

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Build a couple of canadian camp mouse traps.One or 2 5 gallon pails ,top off ramp leading to top with a wire strung across the top going through a pop or beer can in the middle.Put peanut butter on can and put water and bleach or the likes in the pail.Mouse runs up ramp ,across wire to peanutbutter ,can spins and deposits rodent in water where it drowns.Have caught hundreds if not much more that way up at camp.

Yep, this works at our camp in the Adirondacks - is that because we're close to Canada? The kids enjoy building them, then seeing the evidence that it works. Didn't know that was your trick - thanks guys (and for the beer too)!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I've heard dryer sheets work. I have used them in my street rod. I've heard of guys putting mothballs in pop bottles with holes. That way you can just pic up the bottle(s). Snowmobile guys do that..........

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've heard dryer sheets work. I have used them in my street rod. I've heard of guys putting mothballs in pop bottles with holes. That way you can just pic up the bottle(s). Snowmobile guys do that..........

Yes dryer sheet give them a nice soft fur with out all that static clink. :pound: :sorry: I couldn't help myself.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yep, this works at our camp in the Adirondacks - is that because we're close to Canada? The kids enjoy building them, then seeing the evidence that it works. Didn't know that was your trick - thanks guys (and for the beer too)!

yep all great ideas come from up here ,you guys just swipe them and claim them for your own:lol: CraigBanard i get mothballs all the time up here.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
Mouse traps and dryer sheets. Go to Sam's Club and buy a big box of dryer sheets and put them everywhere. Has worked so far.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I guess the only thing you have to watch out about poisoning them, is if they eat the poison and then get back outside before dying. Then something else eats the mice. That could kill other animals that are really beneficial to the wildlife. JMHO
Not entirely true. Larger animals like dogs and cats would need to eat an entire box box or more of the pellets in order to be killed by the stuff. Sickened maybe but not killed. Obviously it is a good idea to keep pets away from the stuff, but a dog or cat would likely not even eat a dehydrated mouse. As for the sonic pest devices, one does not need to spend $90 for them. They are available at some farm supply and home stores. I have two that definitely work and two that do not (different brands) so there is a difference. I spend lots of time in my garage with the doors open and I'm across the road from an open field. I've seen mice come out of the ditch, get about 1/2 way up the driveway, stop and turn around. In fact I have only had one mouse in the garage in the 13 years since the house was built. For pest control in my shed I place moth balls in a nylon bag and place them near the door. Again, no mice. Did the same years ago when my boats and travel trailer needed to be stored outside

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not entirely true. Larger animals like dogs and cats would need to eat an entire box box or more of the pellets in order to be killed by the stuff. Sickened maybe but not killed. Obviously it is a good idea to keep pets away from the stuff, but a dog or cat would likely not even eat a dehydrated mouse. As for the sonic pest devices, one does not need to spend $90 for them. They are available at some farm supply and home stores. I have two that definitely work and two that do not (different brands) so there is a difference. I spend lots of time in my garage with the doors open and I'm across the road from an open field. I've seen mice come out of the ditch, get about 1/2 way up the driveway, stop and turn around. In fact I have only had one mouse in the garage in the 13 years since the house was built. For pest control in my shed I place moth balls in a nylon bag and place them near the door. Again, no mice. Did the same years ago when my boats and travel trailer needed to be stored outside

That sound good. Now what do you do about squirrels? I've had more damage from squirrels then anything else ever. I will admit, they haven't done much in the last year or two. But before that, they were eating anything and everything, including the aluminum straps that hold the chain link fence to the top rail on our back yard fence. I replaced those fence straps a few times now. They literally chewed them in two. Yes, I have thought about target practice being how we live out of the city. But I am leaving that as a very last resort.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Do tell, which brand works?