Beginners Part Identification Help Needed

Benj269

Recruit
I could use some help identifying some parts on the back of my newly acquired 1993 Bayliner Jazz. This is my first boat, so I don't know what to call things or know what I should be searching for. I have found the manual for the engine, but no real info on the workings of everything else. I would like to know what the black part at the bottom does, as well as what used to be mounted above it.

Photo Nov 20, 10 49 26 AM.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
That's a speedometer pitot. There should be a tube coming out of the top part and running down and being connected to the bottom part. Water/air pressure through the tube feeds the speedometer.

southkogs

Staff member
Yup ... was just typing the same thing as EZ. Speedo with the tube missing.

:welcome:

Benj269

Recruit
Thanks for the responses. Is the bottom part broken as well? I have other things to get working first, but do you think I would have any luck finding genuine parts, or will I just have to get creative?

82rude

Rear Admiral
GET a depthfinder/fishfinder with gps on it .Way more accurate and their relatively cheap.Mine tells you current speed ,avg speed,miles travelled and total miles .Price was around 150?Many more good features also.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the responses. Is the bottom part broken as well? I have other things to get working first, but do you think I would have any luck finding genuine parts, or will I just have to get creative?

​Looks broke to me, As far as genuine parts, no such thing about that, look here on I-Boats for one that looks similar, but do not worry fi it looks different. They all work the same. One thing to look at is the motor/drive itself, some have the speedo hooked right to the drive, so the other one is not needed, If that's the case, you can remove the external one and seal the holes.

southkogs

Staff member
I like 82rude's idea - but, you can find replacement speedometers at some online store I know ... iBOATS :D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
As 82Rude said, I'd replace your speedo with a fishfinder with that capability. The pitot driven ones aren't particularly accurate especially at low speeds. I'd remove all the stuff for it from the transom and patch the holes with MarineTex.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
When you install the new speedo and tubing, be sure to use marine sealant in the penetrations to the hull. Don't want water getting in to the screws.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hate pitot tube speedos, always seem to be getting plugged or broken off. I would agree with the GS, also gives you charting capability and depth. Alot of inexpensive fishfinders with built in gps on the market theses days.