Your Thoughts on Buying a Bayliner

RiverRuns

Cadet
Hi All - My son and I are looking at a 2000 Bayliner 1952 Capri tomorrow that is for sale. We are looking for our first boat to use on the Great South Bay off Long Island NY's south shore. It has the 3.0 Mercruiser 4 cyclinder and appears to be in nice shape. We would talk to the marine mechanic where it was maintained and get an independant marine mechanic to inspect before buying if we decide to purchase, but are these boats known for any problems or are there any tell-tale things we should look for? Is the 3.0 Mercruiser normally a good, dependable and economical engine , even if it is not that fast? Any last advice? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
TY Bill

82rude

Rear Admiral
Excellent advice on first post.Bayliner is an entry level boat ,keeping that in mind there are probably many happy bayliner owners out there.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
If it has carpet over plywood made sure the floor is hard. That's about the only problem with the older bayliner because they just put carpet over plywood while most manufacturers glassed over the plywood and then snap in carpet. If the wood in the boat checks out you should be good to go. If you get the independent marine tech to look at if before buying, you'll be good.

southkogs

Staff member
Go through the checklist JB put up. It's a great guide. I've got an '02 Capri Classic - It's a nice boat. Pretty efficient, rides smooth enough and scoots along nicely with the 3.0l. Check the electrical stuff closely - that seems to be where I have the most bugs.

:welcome:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Hi All - My son and I are looking at a 2000 Bayliner 1952 Capri tomorrow that is for sale. We are looking for our first boat to use on the Great South Bay off Long Island NY's south shore. It has the 3.0 Mercruiser 4 cyclinder and appears to be in nice shape. We would talk to the marine mechanic where it was maintained and get an independant marine mechanic to inspect before buying if we decide to purchase, but are these boats known for any problems or are there any tell-tale things we should look for? Is the 3.0 Mercruiser normally a good, dependable and economical engine , even if it is not that fast? Any last advice? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
TY Bill

Welcome to iBoats. I also boat on the south shore (Babylon area). The Bayliner, if in good shape, will do okay on the calm days. I wouldn't have any qualms. I suggest you have the boat professionally surveyed if you really like it.

However, if you want to be able to use the boat when the wind kicks up above 15 mph (which it often does), I'd look for a dual console boat instead. Don't know exactly where you're located, but the stretch from roughly Copiague to Patchogue gets pretty snotty most afternoons The prevailing summer west-southwest wind sweeps the whole length of the bay. Shallow water and wind makes for choppy conditions and a bit of roller coaster ride in the afternoon, before the wind moderates and the bay lays down around 6-7:00

If it's this one please exercise caution. Looks to me like it's spent a lot of time uncovered. That doesn't bode well for the decking and plywood bases under the upholstery. If the boat is already winterized make sure your purchase is contingent upon a successful survey and sea trial in the spring.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/5873672139.html

Last edited:

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
My neighbor has one. Didn't have any problems with it last season. He does complain that it rides rough however.

roffey

Commander
If it's this one please exercise caution. Looks to me like it's spent a lot of time uncovered. That doesn't bode well for the decking and plywood bases under the upholstery. If the boat is already winterized make sure your purchase is contingent upon a successful survey and sea trial in the spring.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/5873672139.html

I am in Canada and boats normally go for a higher in price here but that boat is likely double what it should be. It has not been taken care of at all. I would walk for sure, its way under powered, seats need to be redone, looks like mildew every where and it even states in the ad the prop is wrong (likely current owner trying to get more performance). It is a project boat at best.

Just my humble opinion.

RiverRuns

Cadet
Hi - Thank you for your thoughts. No, it is not that one. It is this one https://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/5883614027.html We' re looking at it this afternoon. So walking around on the deck could point up problems if the floor is plywood? We'll see if there are any "unusual" spots and will read over the checklist above before making any commitments. Thanks again for the advice! Bill

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Hi - Thank you for your thoughts. No, it is not that one. It is this one https://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/5883614027.html We' re looking at it this afternoon. So walking around on the deck could point up problems if the floor is plywood? We'll see if there are any "unusual" spots and will read over the checklist above before making any commitments. Thanks again for the advice! Bill
Almost all boats have plywood floors, but most manufacturers put fiber glass over the floor and then snap in carpet. Bayliner in those days just set the plywood and carpet directly over it. My friend has a 2002 ~21 ft bayliner and in the summer once the floor gets soaked you can feel mushy spots.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
For that price here in Ontario that boat would be sold in a day if the floor and transom are solid. Looks good to me but one can't inspect and run a photo. If it is solid and a good mechanic gives the thumb up it would be a go for me. A 19 foot anything is going to be a rough ride in 1/2 to 1 meter chop. Pick your days and enjoy. I don't even consider going out in 15 MPH winds in my 19' StarCraft. Just no fun for me.

Did you buy it?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
do your homework and check over engine make sure it's sound.. dont ignore the trailer either....maintenance on bearings, hubs. salt water is harsh. if it's solid, for that price, it's a bargain

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't have a problem with that vintage Bayliner if the floor, transom and stringers were solid.. I wouldn't buy one from the early 90s or mid to late 80s though.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Happy Bayliner owner here - that is less that I paid for mine 5 years ago. Mine was mint though. It really matters how it was stored and maintained like all have said above. I'm probably going to upgrade to a inboard ski boat next year or a faster outboard boat... ONLY because I want a smaller wake for slalom.

Will probably shed a few tears when my Bayliner goes to the new owner - been out in it over 120 times in the last 5 years and only left me stranded 1 time due to a fried ignition part the 1st month i had it.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Looks like a good first boat for you and your son assuming it passes inspection.

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
Price seems very reasonable,... if solid its a steal ! Good Luck !

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't buy one from the early 90s or mid to late 80s though.

Bruce, Im not real versed in Bayliner,... tell me more. I recently had a chance to get a 89' Bayliner 2556 Command Bridge needing plenty of tlc,... but the price is near zero.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce, Im not real versed in Bayliner,... tell me more. I recently had a chance to get a 89' Bayliner 2556 Command Bridge needing plenty of tlc,... but the price is near zero.
Very low quality. I did my very best keeping my 87 Capri 2150 in good shape but even in a very dry climate where I am had to rebuild the wood structure around the engine housing. Seat platforms were also cheaply made. Cheap hardware including all the railing on the boat....I can go on.

RiverRuns

Cadet
Thanks again for your comments. We looked at the boat and it appears fairly clean. My son walked all over on the deck and did not feel any soft spots. The engine looked pretty clean, and the owner said that the maifold and riser had not been done in the 6 years he owned it so they priced it assuming we would want to get that done. The trailer lights are not working, the 2 clear side panels on the top need to be replaced and the button on the throttle to raise and lower the stern drive is not working correctly. It will lower with the top button but only raise with lower button (I guess made for raisng on the trailer) So it would take a little investment to fix these items. If we decide to go forward, we will get the mechanic scheduled later this week. I'll keep you posted! Bill