Boston Whaler 17' Montauk for offshore?

driscollies

Seaman Apprentice
Hi iBoats, first post but been lurking for a long time.

Been boating for a while, feel really comfortable in bays in chop (i guess about a foot), but I have a little klamath tinny that I fish out of and been wanting to move up a little. Would love something that I can take offshore to chase offshore fish on small days, maybe get a mile out or so, or that I can take in the bay on larger, rougher days. Heard good things about montauks, been looking at the 17'er. seeing some conflicting opinions about how they handle offshore. some people say they're great and unsinkable, some say too small.

Just collecting thoughts. Capable offshore boat? More so than a mostly-flat-bottomed tinny, yeah!

Appreciate it, everyone. any and all thoughts welcome.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Too small, and every boat in that size range is unsinkable by law.

Well it actually depends on where live and go boating as to whether it's too small for a mile or so out in the ocean, some places it would fine, others not so great.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Welcome to iboats mate, I hope you will enjoy your time here as I have.

I've been on Lake Erie crossing from PA to Ontario in a 40 footer where I kissed the ground when I got ashore. Wished I was home safe in bed when a storm hit off The Bahamas on a massive luxury Ocean Liner. Asking the best size for a boat is like asking how long is a rope? It all depends on conditions boating in. I pick my days here on Erie in a 19 foot StarCraft deep V with a 115 and a 15 kicker. I seem to get pickier the older I get picking good days, I don't need anymore adventures at this point in my life and pounding 3 foot swells hurt where it didn't a few years ago. With all the marine weather information in your hand it is easier to predict weather and waves. Personally I would want no less than a 24 foot deep V. A centre council for fishing would be ideal for me saltwater fishing. Check out the Key West line up. Very nice and very stable, I was impressed when I went out in one Walleye fishing here. Someone else here recently said a 14 footer is fine going off shore. Say what? I find when someone says only a mile out it becomes 2 then 3 and if the fish are biting 8 miles out we go there.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
This is what we call Boston Whaler days . . .
IMG_8838.jpg

and there is a reason for that.

The 13 and 17 foot Whalers will not take much of a chop. 2 feet is probably the most for the 17. The boat will be fine, the captain and crew will wish they had a bigger boat. The newer designs are a bit better than that older ones. Of course, 17 feet is not much boat when heading out of unprotected waters.

If you get an older one, make sure it does not have water in the hull, as that will reduce the 'unsinkability' of the boat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The boat will be fine, the captain and crew will wish they had a bigger boat.

Ditto. In my experience the Captain and crew cry 'uncle' long before the boat is in any danger. I'd be okay taking it a mile or two (or three) offshore on a nice day. Living where I do, my big question is whether or not you need to run an inlet to get to and from the ocean. That's where things can get very dicey. People in boats much larger than mine sometimes have to stay outside and wait for slack tide before coming back in. Can be an uncomfortable situation in a small boat.

My .02

driscollies

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone. Was just asking about the whaler because there was one for sale near me, but i'd rather get the right one than the convenient one. I'm just south of monterey CA so pretty open ocean, but i do fine in the bay mostly if i pick em and choose em.

don't think i want the investment of a 24'er! :) was hoping there was a small capable craft out there. heard good things about the whalers but maybe not good enough. is there something in the 20foot range i should keep my eye out for? Something that can handle larger bay days and/or just a little offshore? like the outrage or something?

Gonna pass on the montauk. on to the next one. thanks to you all.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Find a deep"V" StarCraft. The Star Craft "Heritage" is 21 feet, centre council that provides plenty of room to fight a fish and handles 4 footers well (both fish and waves). It is easy to trailer too. The Islander is a nice Cuddy from Star Craft. That is a Islander in my Avatar. Trailering is an issue when you get up there in size. Shopping for a boat is fun, especially with someone else's money.

I would love to know what you guys on that section of the west coast fish for. PM me if you would please.

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander
First off, keep in mind that the great majority of "what ias safe offshore" has to do with the experience and capability of the operator.
That said,......
I probably shouldn't talk about how as a teenager growing up I used to take 13 & 14 foot garveys and runabouts a mile or so out off the Jersey shore fishing,..... or how back in the mid '50's my parents would take their 12 ft plywood runabout a couple or three miles off the Jersey shore fishing. Or,.... when I worked commercial fishing (offshore scalloping), we were about 50 - 75 miles off Atlantic City in peasoup fog and a guy came idling up out of the fog in a Boston Whaler Outrage and asked "which way is Atlantic City?"...... all this was long before GPS etc.

............ 'What can you do' has a lot more to do with the operator than the boat.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
I have a friend that owns a Montauk and we take it out during salmon season out of SF Bay. If you're familiar with California, we go out to the Farallon Islands. This boat is incredible. He hops over large 6-8' swells completely out of the water and you can hear the prop whine as it becomes airborne. He's definitely an experienced boater and I trust him wholeheartedly.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have a friend that owns a Montauk and we take it out during salmon season out of SF Bay. If you're familiar with California, we go out to the Farallon Islands. This boat is incredible. He hops over large 6-8' swells completely out of the water and you can hear the prop whine as it becomes airborne. He's definitely an experienced boater and I trust him wholeheartedly.

And sometimes an operators over inflated sence of ability will get you killed as easily as a novice. The number 1 reason of aircraft crashes due to pilot error, over confidence.

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
You would have to really pick your days to use that choice in the ocean. If I had a choice I would get a 21ft. Contender or Regulator. They are a deep V hull and not too heavy. They do tend to bob around when drifting but are very sea worthy boats.

Woffski

Cadet
You would have to really pick your days to use that choice in the ocean. If I had a choice I would get a 21ft. Contender or Regulator. They are a deep V hull and not too heavy. They do tend to bob around when drifting but are very sea worthy boats.

Pretty pricey too!

ebry710

Ensign
In San Francisco and Bodega Bays, Whalers are used in large numbers for sportsmen crabbing and salmon fishing. As a marine biology student at San Francisco State University, the Montauk was our "go to" boat for the SF Bay. That is how I got hooked on them. In this area, the seas can be quite calm with rolling waves. The weather is generated in the distant Pacific. The Coast Guard and NWS issue accurate small craft warnings. It is a must to follow warnings and plan local trips accordingly.