To clean or not clean the hull

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

I am going to be applying bottom paint to my boat in the spring (was gonna do fall, but it got cold here...quick). This will be the first time this boat has gotten paint aside from at the factory (2004 Maxum SR3 1800). I know I will need to prep the hull to paint such as clean and sand, primer and paint. So my question is, is it worth it for me to scrub it down before putting it away for the winter? I usually clean it with toilet bowl cleaner, scrub brush and hose to get off all the water stains but if I'm going to be doing it again in the spring and also sanding, is it worth the effort?

tpenfield

Staff member
I have found through experience that the easiest cleaning job is right after the boat comes out of the water. If you wait until spring it will probably be a lot harder.

You might want to use a barrier coat as your primer for the paint.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks, that's kind of what I was thinking as well. What is a barrier coat?

mr 88

Commander
Fresh or salt water.Trailered or kept in water and if in water for how long ?

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Both Fresh and Salt water, though last run was fresh. Trailered but being kept in water next year, hence the bottom paint.

tpenfield

Staff member
Barrier coat (Interlux Interprotect 2000) would be good if you plan to keep the boat in the water. If will provide good protection against blisters and give a nice base of the bottom paint to adhere to.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I`d go ahead and clean it now. Leaving until spring will only make cleaning it tougher.