Outboards . . . an emerging trend ???

robert graham

Admiral
Outboards free up a lot of room in the back of boat.....and there's some strong, dependable outboards on the market....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I don't see Seven Marine as an option

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I loved my outboard on my bayliner, but that long swim deck on the Chap is really hard to beat. Not that either are in any way considered a power boat......and seven marine's engines are freaking cool. I think I saw a video where they were using vette motors as the power head. Wow!!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
It's cool, but... a half million dollars. At $3,000. per month you can pay it off in 15 years. Mind boggling. Who buys these things??

Think I'll keep the Carver.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
It's cool, but... a half million dollars. At $3,000. per month you can pay it off in 15 years. Mind boggling. Who buys these things??

me too. Plus it's got an outboard on her....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
We are starting to see 25+ foot center console boats set up for fishing with three large outboard motors on them. We are also starting see boats as small as 22 foot with twin V4/V6 outboard motors on them. I guess multiple motors is a trend now....

​As my neighbor says " They have more motors than us, so they will catch more fish than us".

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
We are starting to see 25+ foot center console boats set up for fishing with three large outboard motors on them. We are also starting see boats as small as 22 foot with twin V4/V6 outboard motors on them. I guess multiple motors is a trend now....

​As my neighbor says " They have more motors than us, so they will catch more fish than us".

It's evolution - the bass are getting faster every year so the boats have to get faster in order to catch them!

82rude

Rear Admiral
Waiting for a bass boat with the merc 400hp outboard.Or has one of the biggys already rerated their boats?How about a walleye fishing rig with same 400?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Went to the Baltimore boat show this spring and I/O's were friggin' GONE. It was unbelievable. Gone like overnight. I asked multiple dealers and they all told me they could still get I/O boats from the manufacturers but customers are all wanting outboards. They said the newer, quieter 4 strokes are what people want. Even sleek bowriders that you'd NEVER see with a outboards had big 'ol 4 strokes hanging off the back. I was blown away. Granted the Baltimore show is a bit more saltwater-y but still.

Blue2005

Seaman Apprentice
Outboards are all the rage now and I can understand why BUT they still look "weird" on that style boat. At that price tag, I'm going to assume they're not going to be selling a bunch of these, especially with that type of power.

SeaRay tried the same thing with one of their larger cruisers and it failed hard. Outboards should stick with CCs and certain Bowriders in my opinion. These large cruisers and bowriders don't look that good with the outboard. All in all, that's a very nice looking boat regardless.

tpenfield

Staff member

I know boat pricing is so crazy. Right on the web site, they don't expect you to pay the $450K +/- MSRP . . . instead they have what they call an MSSP of about $340K :eek: . . . makes you feel like you are getting a deal :faint2: :D

tpenfield

Staff member
Outboards are all the rage now and I can understand why BUT they still look "weird" on that style boat. At that price tag, I'm going to assume they're not going to be selling a bunch of these, especially with that type of power.

SeaRay tried the same thing with one of their larger cruisers and it failed hard. Outboards should stick with CCs and certain Bowriders in my opinion. These large cruisers and bowriders don't look that good with the outboard. All in all, that's a very nice looking boat regardless.

Looks like both Sea Ray and Chaparral have added outboards to their sport boat product lines. . . . probably that is where the best market is for traditional I/O boats having outboards.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
OB's have their place, so do I/O's, jet drives, pure inboards, surface drives and even sails.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Twins have been the norm for serious (competitive) fisherman for years. Up to a few years ago, twins was the only way to could hang max. power off a transom.

Fast forward to the days of 30+ ft., 1,000 HP boats and it takes trips to fully power them.

It's possible to catch more fish with multiple motors.... The winning boat (trip 200 HP ) in this years tuna tournament ran 190 miles round trip to catch the winning fish. Won't leave much time to fish with a 35 mph boat.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer

+1 I agree with everything. Some boats just don't look right. In this case is literally looks likes they glued the outboards on lol. They aren't nearly as stylish and they take up too much swim deck space JMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I currently have 2 boats one being a pontoon with an outboard. I can totally see going outboard if I ever replace my cuddy boat that has an I/O

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I know boat pricing is so crazy. Right on the web site, they don't expect you to pay the $450K +/- MSRP . . . instead they have what they call an MSSP of about $340K :eek: . . . makes you feel like you are getting a deal :faint2: :D

Ah! Thanks, Ted, that's much more reasonable... :facepalm:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i was surprised the big sea ray with the OB's didn't make it. I'd do it if I was looking for that size and new which i won't. maybe used i can get one now. But then again I fell for he L-Drive....