Underpowered ?

Dick Bacon

Seaman Apprentice
I was looking into a boat I saw for sale. 1999 Sea Ark deck boat, 20ft. It had a Merc 90hp 2 stroke on it. I was thinking it might be a little under powered for pulling my teenage kids on tubes or sking ? Any thoughts ?

robert graham

Admiral
The 90 HP 2 stroke might be O.K. just cruising but for pulling skiers and tubes I'd expect it to be some underpowered. My rig is a 90HP 2 stroke Yamaha on an 1870 Xpress Jon boat and the other day at the lake we were loaded with people and pulling tubes and the drag on the motor was noticeable. With just my wife and myself just cruising the motor is more than we need power-wise......If you're doing a lot of skiing or tubing you may look for more power...

shout

Seaman Apprentice
FWIW - I had a 20' Seafox, weighed about 2200 lbs, with a 130 HP mercruiser and we could wakeboard and ski behind it, but it was maxed out trying to pull an adult on skis or wakeboard.

I would expect a 20' deckboat to be underpowered with that engine

-- shout

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would think a boat like that should have at least a 150hp on it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Yeah that's for sure underpowered. Especially on a deck boat which probably has lots of seating. I'd want a 150. On any outboard boat, check the data plate for max HP rating. You want at least 70% for decent performance.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
You don't say which model, but if the boat is aluminum i don't think you will have any issues - Especially if you are just talking skiing on 2 skis. We pull multiple skiers with our boat and it weighs 1600 lbs with engine.

My friend is about 220 and I pull him up on slalom no issues. I'd be willing to bet a newer 90 Merc is as nearly as strong as my Force 125 engine.

That being said if i had a deck boat that was around the 2000 lbs range I would want that 150 V6 outboard on the back!!