Boat Tilts

Dave Rajski

Cadet
I own a 1995 StarCraft Island 191V. boat runs great, but when I get on plane the boat tilts very hard to the port side. Any suggestions? I know that trim tabs can cure the issue - I just and trying to find the problem. Boat has a hydrofoil on the lower unit. Ii is not a weight distribution issue. At the dock the boat sits fin with people and gear on boat. Tried turning the motor trim guide to the port side - no success. There is some success as I trim the lower unit up and down, but at times I start to porpoise. No hook on the bottom. I am asking for some guidance with this. Stupid me bought the boat with out a test drive.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I'd do two things first:
1. remove the whale tail from the lower unit
2. go ahead and shift at least half your weight from port to starboard. It doesn't matter if the boat lists to starboard at this point, though you don't want it to be extreme. See if that corrects the issue.
If there is nothing obviously wrong with the hull, then your only options are to redistribute weight and/or add tabs.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I know in my Chaparral, the weight distribution is more noticeable on plane. If I'm sitting in the boat docked, it doesn't appear to list. On plane with just me in the boat it would list starboard. This was before I installed a hydrofin. the hydrofin cured my issue almost instantly.

I'm guessing the trim tab (lower unit), wouldn't fix your issue as it's purpose is to equalize steering effort in either direction in non-power steering boats.

Is it possible the hull is deformed slightly? Could you use a string line to verify each side is the same? Could there be water trapped under the deck? If you took the hydrofin off what does it do?

Interesting post. There are plenty of SC guys on here that may have come across this.....

Dave Rajski

Cadet
Thank you for your quick response. I am going to remove that whale tale. I spoke to the marina that serviced the boat - they were the original owner. And he stated that this never happened. I get it - no test drive, my bad (chest tap). But with the impute from many boat owners, like yourself, we will find the answer. The solution may be trim tabs - are trim tabs usually installed on aluminum boats?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
These days I think they are installed on row boats! :lol:
But seriously, any power boat can benefit from tabs, regardless the construction material used.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard Dave,

What is the motor set up on your Islander? I'm assuming a 3.0L I/O as the most common.

I have Nauticus tabs on my Chief but my 4.3L motor also has power steering. I'm not sure if you're describing torque steer or a list while underway. Normally torque steer is a hard pull due to the prop torque and trimming the motor or OD out will lessen or make it go away altogether.

Forgot the link to the tabs
http://www.iboats.com/Nauticus-SX-S...6659008--session_id.148280132--view_id.352485

Dave Rajski

Cadet
Well Mr. Waterman - you have asked the correct questions. Thanks for getting back to me, you described my usual trip onto the lake getting ready to fish.The motor is a 3.0L. Yes, when I get on plane the boat tilts to the port very sharp and it is hard to pull the boat back on plane. So I just back off on the speed until the boat levels off. Then I start again and when I start to plane and the boat tilts I start to trim the engine and the boat starts to level up. When the boat does tilt, it is very hard to pull the boat on plane, this is why I back off and start over and over. And because I lack the terminology - what is OD?

Watermann

OD = Out Drive

Yeah that's torque steer although I don't suffer it with my Chief due to power steering, I do have a smaller 16' boat that it was horrible on but when I got the tilt and trim unit it went away.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Well Mr. Waterman - you have asked the correct questions. Thanks for getting back to me, you described my usual trip onto the lake getting ready to fish.The motor is a 3.0L. Yes, when I get on plane the boat tilts to the port very sharp and it is hard to pull the boat back on plane. So I just back off on the speed until the boat levels off. Then I start again and when I start to plane and the boat tilts I start to trim the engine and the boat starts to level up. When the boat does tilt, it is very hard to pull the boat on plane, this is why I back off and start over and over. And because I lack the terminology - what is OD?

Tilts or pulls?
If it tilts (lists) then it is loading or balance issue. If it pulls, that is a torque steer issue.

Bondo

Staff member
What do you mean by "it is hard to pull the boat back on plane"?

Ayuh,.... That confuses Me too,.....

What's the prop look like,..?? What model, 'n pitch,..?? Try changin' it to another,.....

Dave Rajski

Cadet
Thanks for following up marc c. When the boat is on plane and tilts to the port side, it takes a huge effort to try and pull the boat back on plane when traveling at a high speed. That is why I reduce the speed so I can "straighten" the boat out. When the boat tilts to on the port side, the whole boat starts turning left. Even if I do not want to go in that direction. At the end of the day, I would like to be able to go out onto the lake, travel 30 mph and not have to worry about the boat tilting to the port side. First bout that I have ever seen do this.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Still confused by "pull the boat back on plane". But "huge effort" sounds like torque steer

Alumarine

Captain
Does sound like the trim tab needs adjusting.

Just so you know as a rule planing means the hull is up on top of the water.
It doesn't necessarily mean you're going straight or you're not tilted one way or the other.

I recently installed my trim tab incorrectly and it took a great deal of strength to prevent the boat from turning violently to the left (I think it was left), but it was still planing. I adjusted it correctly and that solved that problem.

I still use trim tabs as I have my fuel tank and trolling motor both on the port side. They keep me level.

If I wasn't planing then of course the steering was easy and it would go straight.

Dave Rajski

Cadet
I had the steering cables replaced. Just because the steering was tough with the existing cables. Just by happen chance did i change the cables. That has nothing to do with the tilting. The boat tilted before the cables were changed out. I can go 15 mph in the water with no issues, once above that speed is when the boat tilts to the port side. Trolls awesome as when we are fishing. Just want to be able to get in and out quicker - - and so my wife can go fast and my children tubing.
I thank all of you for the suggestions and ideas. I was hoping / wishing for an easy resolution. I figure i will have to make adjustments with my out drive, propeller and the whale tale

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
What you are experiencing is normal for a right hand prop. That's why they put the steering wheel on the stbd side. Your whale tail is not causing the problem, nor is it helping you. Removing it will serve no purpose. Individually adjustable (expensive) trim tabs will cure the issue. Also, your trim tab / zirc needs to be adjusted. You can minimize the issue, but not eliminate it. Turn the aft end all the way to stbd and try it. Then move it slightly to port and test again. Simply trial and error to find the sweet spot. If you run with an odd number of people, always have the odd person sit on the stbd side. Moving stuff around is a waste of time unless you always have the same number of people aboard.

Watermann

When you replaced the steering cable did you go with a NFB type?

Dave Rajski

Cadet
JimS123 - thank you for your response. Your advice is well appreciated. The trim tabs - electric? Hydraulic? Smart tabs? What would be the best option? And trim tabs can be installed on an aluminum boat?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Trim tabs can definitely be installed on an aluminium boat. Smart tabs could possibly help you if your issue is consistent. Adjust one side for more downwards pressure than the other. Helm-adjustable tabs (though more expensive of course) would be better. Electric vs hydraulic is a matter of personal preference.