Boating book?

Darrenmb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all,
Not sure i like being a recruit again, used to be a cm2(sw) but oh well, such is life.
Anyways, besides my navy days, i know nothing at all about boating other than i bought a boat! :)
What are some good books/manuals to read to give me the basics of boat operating? rules of the water, best rope to use for anchor, knots, basic stuff like that.

Thanks in advance.
Darren

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Chapman Piloting is a good one. Check Ebay for cheap used copies.

Local boating safety courses are good to take as well. Some states require a safety course, regardless of age.

51TGeUy52VL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I learned ALOT from this one.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome! I think you are a recruit at like 5 posts or something lol! Instead of a book, I would recommend a) like you already are, being involved in a few forums and b) take a boating course. Even a one day course can be much more helpful then a book. Especially if like mine, your instructor gives lots of example and stories from his own experiences. They make it much easier to remember key things. Supplement a course with a book

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Get a copy of the "Boat Safety Manual" that is used as the reference book to get the Boat Safe card from the Canadian federal government. It isn't the boating Bible but has a good overview of safe and smart boating not just Canuck regulations. Explains marine markers etc. Basic rules of the water and safety tips.

Darrenmb

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the references, and tips, im sure i will have plenty of questions as my project advances, luckily very few will be on the engine, as i have mechanical background, ( although it wayyyy back) i was construction mechanic in Navy, Go seabees! Then auto mechanic when i got out, this is way back in 80s though! Lets see how good my memory is!!! :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Power Squadron or USCG Aux. course would be good as well.

dwco5051

Commander
Agree with GA_BOATER. Chapman Piloting and Seamanship. Look for a used copy, does not have to the latest edition as not much changes year by year.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Power Squadron or USCG Aux. course would be good as well.

IMO, they're the best. You have an opportunity to take classes in a classroom setting. Lots of give and take, personal experiences shared and most important, the instructors are generally long-time boaters who boat in the same waters that you do. You don't get that depth from a website.

I'm a USPS member and I've taken classes in basic boating, seamanship, piloting, navigation and marine electrical systems. There's a cruise planning course coming up in the spring that I'm anxious to take.

My .02

RCNelson

Cadet
I don't buy books much anymore, although I did own a LOT of DIY books at one time. Now the internet has come along with hoards of information, including videos and pictures. There are so many places to learn anything on the web!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I found this book (available on Amazon) for my Kindle:

Powerboat Handling Illustrated: How to Make Your Boat Do Exactly What You Want It To by Robert Sweet

It's a really good, easy to understand book. To be honest, much of the information in it you could find right here on iBoats, but the book has it all in one place in a logical, easy to follow format. I found it to be helpful when I was jst starting out. It has good illustrations, too.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I forgot about Amazon for a Chapman's - Used copies for less than 5 bucks, shipping included. Ebay had some starting for less than a buck, but I didn't look at shipping.

I got my copy years ago by taking a Power Squadron course and Chapman Piloting was part of the course material. I really did like the classroom training because the instructor could answer questions right there. Now I take an annual online course as a refresher, but taking a classroom course is much better for a new recreational boater.

Ned L

Commander
Agree with GA_BOATER. Chapman Piloting and Seamanship. Look for a used copy, does not have to the latest edition as not much changes year by year.

This...... Single best source for a book