Best organization to donate a boat to

rgnjc

Cadet
Hello,

I'm looking to donate a boat of mine (1978 seaswirl). It runs, but isnt worth my time to sell and I'm quite happy at the idea of donating it for a cause and getting a little something in a tax deduction.

My question is, what are the most reputable and best places to donate to? It seems like all the top google searches are the worst places to donate to. I am looking for a 501c3 organization.

Thanks!

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
That's a tough call, because most boat donation places will not accept any boats unless they are in awesome condition. Some churches and community centers have resale shops that you can donate boats to and get a receipt.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
How about a local High School shop class. I saw a thread on another forum and it really has the kids energized.

Salvation Army

" Thank you for considering The Salvation Army CAR DONATION PROGRAM as the recipient of your vehicle donation. When you donate your car, boat, motorcycle, truck or RV to The Salvation Army, you're helping us heal broken lives and assist individuals on the road to recovery. Your used vehicle will help change the road ahead for someone who?s lost direction. Proceeds from the sale of your donated automobile are used to help fund The Salvation Army's rehabilitation programs in your area.
Please call 1-800-SA-TRUCK (728-7825) and we?ll pick up your car, boat, truck, motorcycle or RV at absolutely no charge and provide you with an IRS-approved receipt for your donation. After receiving your information, we will call you within 3 business days to provide you with the stock number assigned to your donation and to arrange for a pick-up time. Your tax deductible receipt will be provided at the time of pick-up and additional information will be mailed after your vehicle has been sold. http://easternusa.salvationarmy.org/use/car-donations/ "

They totally helped a guy I know.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
There are a few that sell on eBay.

https://www.itsdonated.com/

"Your donation benefits the Eye Defects Research Foundation, a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization supported by the National Eye Institute of Health"

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually bought my boat, motor and trailer from a donation company. It is call Boat Angle. http://www.boatangel.com/ They post the donated boat on EBay (and maybe other places as well, I honestly don't know) and the winning bid gets the boat, motor and trailer. But it is only viewed via pictures until you win. The boat I bid on was in a near by city, but they would not allow me to go see it before I won it. So I know it was close by, but no address unless I was the winning bidder. And it certainly was not water ready in the least. You take it as is. But you get them cheap...if you like rebuilding them.

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry, I know I shouldn't do this because I'm getting off topic, but I get in trouble all the time

Any thing that ends in .com isn't a charity, they may take a cut from the sale of the item and the rest goes to the charity. I would suggest to anyone wanting to donate anything to a charity to use Charitynavigator and Charitywatch to see how much of the amount given goes to help and how much goes to over head.

Salvation Army uses 84% of all funds to help

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, I know I shouldn't do this because I'm getting off topic, but I get in trouble all the time

Any thing that ends in .com isn't a charity, they may take a cut from the sale of the item and the rest goes to the charity. I would suggest to anyone wanting to donate anything to a charity to use Charitynavigator and Charitywatch to see how much of the amount given goes to help and how much goes to over head.

Salvation Army uses 84% of all funds to help

AllDodge sadly you are correct. So any well named charities are not as charitable as I use to think. So I usually donate to local places where I know where the stuff goes in our community. You have to do your research first.

rgnjc

Cadet
BTW, it may have been helpful to say that I am in Oregon.

Got a couple good suggestions here, I will check them out. I also considered maybe donating it to a vo-tech school, though I don't think that would provide any sort of small tax deduction incentive.

Thalasso

Commander
Hello,

I'm looking to donate a boat of mine (1978 seaswirl). It runs, but isnt worth my time to sell and I'm quite happy at the idea of donating it for a cause and getting a little something in a tax deduction.

My question is, what are the most reputable and best places to donate to? It seems like all the top google searches are the worst places to donate to. I am looking for a 501c3 organization.

Thanks!
[FONT=&quot]If your going to use the donation as a tax deduction make sure the charity that gets your donation is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) organization.

Salvation Army
[/FONT]

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
It would suck to get a notice a month later that your boat/motor/trailer sold for $100. For the $30 I'd get in a deduction I'd get more enjoyment sinking it or set it on fire.

I'm facing the same situation and have a trouble-free 79 pontoon & 85 40hp that won't sell because of the time of year and I refuse to accept the low-ball offers. I don't want to store it all winter. I don't want to cut it into tiny pieces that I could sell to a recycler. Not many options left.

That's really great of you - thanks for taking the considerate route.

Be wary of certain "charities"; they will lead you to believe that your donation will go to someone less fortunate.. In reality, they sell it and donate a minuscule amount to whatever they claim their cause is.

Where are you located? It would be easier to suggest a reputable charity knowing that.

Best of luck!