repairing snap in carpet

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so i bought a boat at the beginning of the season and it has a snap in carpet that was in okay but rough ish shape underneath. the carpet itself was good but the snaps were bad in some spots and the rubber backing was disintegrating on the parts where the snaps were bad and the wind had been beating on it.

My question is, can i use some sort of rubberized undercoating on the bottom of the carpet to "fix" this? my problem is that the carpet is in good shape after replacing the snaps on it and i dont want to have to replace the carpet. but the carpet backing is pretty worn around all the snaps and some of the edges.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you can try it, however the rubberized undercoating will simply turn your fiberglass into a black gooey mess as it doesnt fully cure.

you would be better off with 3M 77 adhesive and a thin sheet of neoprene

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Really? thats a shame. but ya i dont want it to come off, i saw that flex seal commercial and had a thought about it. ill look and see if i can get some neoprene local. anyone know a number for snap in carpet for a 19' bowrider?

Thalasso

Commander
Go to Home Depot in the paint dept. get the liquid rubber (Flex Seal) in a can and use a roller to apply it. works like a charm and no it doesn't leave marks on the boat.
Used it on mine and works great.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Go to Home Depot in the paint dept. get the liquid rubber (Flex Seal) in a can and use a roller to apply it. works like a charm and no it doesn't leave marks on the boat.
Used it on mine and works great.

That's awesome. I am having a problem with deteriorating OEM rubber backing on my snap-in carpet leaving yellow marks on my fiberglass. I will definitely try the Flex Seal.

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
beware the actual flex seal, it is in the same category as the rubberized undercoatings. i found some discussions on this subject over on the chaparral forum and they said that a liquid latex would work, i will see what all i can find on this and waht works.

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So last night i got some bed liner and tried that. i had read that the Plasti-Dip works as well but i like the idea of the bed liner for durability.
I will have to see how it holds up, but it brought it back to a more solid piece versus the flimsy piece of cloth that it had become.

I just tried this on the ski locker cover for now and used part of a 7$ can of bedliner.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
keep us posted,i am curious how it holds up.The correct way to do snap carpet is to have a piece of eisenglass type plastic on the underside at each snap.Charlie

What about the snaps that screw in. should be wood under the carpet, so can you screw it in and then pull out and put some sealant in the hole to waterproof it. I am going to replace my carpet this winter and wasn't sure how the snaps were in.

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
on my deck the snaps are screwed into the fiberglass deck, but if you have a wood deck it would work the same just make sure you seal it well. on the carpet they are punched onto the carpet, like how you put a grommet onto something.