Help me broaden my boat search

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently sold my 2005 Rinker Captiva 232 Cuddy, since I won't be able to use it for the next couple years. I'm starting to regret selling it. It was near perfect for what I used it for.

I'm window shopping for replacements. I want a 24-30ft cuddy cabin with a bravo drive and a giant Merc motor. I'd like to be able to hit 60mph, and handle 2ft seas at lower speeds. My wife wants something slightly larger than our last 23' boat. I've been looking at Rinker Captivas, or older Formula Sun Sports. Any other ideas for boats that are similar?

tpenfield

Staff member
Chaparral is worth a look. . . ., Sea Ray has something in the 28-29 foot range that is a sun sport (not a sundancer)

Formula 271 and 292 Fastech might also be of interest

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when you get that large, go with twins vs a single.

by Giant Merc motor, are you refering to the merc racing 1650? or something in the 875hp range, or the standard mercruiser 525 and below range?

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class
when you get that large, go with twins vs a single.

by Giant Merc motor, are you refering to the merc racing 1650? or something in the 875hp range, or the standard mercruiser 525 and below range?

I was thinking 525 as a max, but I'd be very happy with the 8.2L, or 496HO.

I like the formula FasTech and the older SR series, but my wife doesn't care for the limited cockpit space. She really likes the wrap-around couch of the Sun Sport and basically all the Rinkers.

I'll start looking at older Chaparrals. The new 2015+ models don't even offer a Cuddy Cabin anymore. In fact, a lot of the newer powerboats only offer bowriders or full up cruisers. It's harder to find a new cuddy.