Replace snap-in carpet with Seadek?

superbenk

Commander
This is more just a "what does everyone think" post. My 2008 Four Winns H200 snap-in carpet is starting to have issues. The rubber backing around the snaps is deteriorating & a couple of the snaps are actually pulling through or have pulled through. So I need to replace it but I'm wondering what the best route is. I couldn't find the carpet for my specific boat on Four Winns accessories site so I'm not sure what it'd cost to get replacement pieces. So here's the options I see & I'm curious what everyone else things & what kind of costs people think each would have:

1. OEM replacement carpet from Four Winns
2. Custom made replacement carpet from a carpet shop (http://www.snapincarpets.com/)
3. Here's the weird one - completely do the interior in Seadek

The last option would probably require a custom template with all the cut-outs for the ski locker, tank access & would be a fairly permanent option (glue in/stick on). I don't have wood to worry about in the deck so I'm not terribly concerned with *some* dampness, but I don't want mildew issues. Not sure how Seadek holds moisture.

4. DIY with some berber carpet from the local hardware store - I worry about the edges & a nice look - not really thrilled with this option

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I like the idea of using Seadek. Instead of gluing it down could you not use snaps with it?

superbenk

Commander
I like the idea of using Seadek. Instead of gluing it down could you not use snaps with it?

I'm going to email them (Seadek) & see what they think. Maybe they'll give me a quote. I really like the look of the faux teak stuff.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Please post what they say. I also am looking at replacing the carpet in my Caravelle

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did the swim platform and walk through pathway on my Sundeck. It looks elegant and classy.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
I have seadek (faux teak with black background) on my swim platform and passthru...I was thinking of doing the rest in seadek as well (in the future). I will tell you they make you order mylar film (from them), make your templates and send them back. It's pricey though...whole boat I'd guess around a $1,000.00 depending on options?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I've been browsing for new snap in carpet myself. I have found that OEM runs around $750.00 give or take. I like the look of Seadek too and considered it as well. However, I have come across one that I am really liking. Check out Chilewich from Sailrite:

youmansjason

Seaman
Please post what they say. I also am looking at replacing the carpet in my Caravelle

Sounds like a common trend. I also have a 2007 Caravelle and the black rubber backing on the back of my carpet is also deteriorating and the snaps were pulling through. It's like the rubberized backing turned hard and brittle, but only in a 2-3 inch radius around each of the snaps. For a temporary fix, I scraped off the rubber backing in these areas around the snaps and applied some latex carpet backing stuff. It's like paint, but thicker, and then installed new snaps. So far, it's working good, but it's only been 1 summer with it.

I also like the look of the faux teak decking materials, but I worry about how hot those materials get when they are out in full sun. My current carpet gets really hot on bare feet when in full sun and not wet, and it's a light colored berber carpet.