New Boat Owner Winterization, Maintenance, and repair

Anthonym2

Seaman
Hi All
I just took my boat out of the water after being in the lake all year. I cleaned and are taking to get winterized next week. I have 3 questions.
I used slimy grimy to get the stain off....which worked. There were however some spots where "bubbling " looks like it occurred. When flaked off it is clean underneath but is difficult to remove. Is this like old wax or something?...Should I be concerned?
One of my bumpers came off last month unknowingly. I have rub rail bad in one spot where the gel coat and paint came off....how can I repair this?
I was considering re staining the wood trim over the winter, but the look riveted in and I'm not sure how to remove...do these come off easily?

Thanks in advance...Boat is a 1980 baretta, old but very well taken care of and invery nice shape.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Yup looks like someone painted the boat. You will have to sand the blistering paint down and reshoot with a quality epoxy enamel if you are going to slip that boat for the season...also look into bottom paint. that will help a lot!

Anthonym2

Seaman
Thanks for the responses. I talked this over with a friend and sent some pics, after I told him that the outdrive paint on the lower unit also had chipped off he thought it was bottom paint also. Looks like I'll need it sanded and painted in the spring. Any differing opinions? Any idea what the cost is first something like that?
Saw the post about osmosis, not sure what the difference is, but when I flake off the bubbles it's hard and smooth underneath and there is no pitting. Does that make sense?

Anthonym2

Seaman
One more thing...I'm reading roffey's pdf and looking online and it could possibly be surface coat osmosis. Either way though it seems sand/ repaint is the solution?

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
That first pic looks like you will need to fill that void and then paint. I am unsure about the other questions without photos. Also, are you doing the winterizing yourself, or paying someone to do it? Its a pretty simple process and save you some $$ if you do it yourself.