Fuel senders

bud30683

Cadet
93 Skeeter ZX175 fuel senders.
Does anyone have any experience changing the fuel sending units, there is about 3 inches between the tanks and deck?
Can you angle them into the tank? WEMA USA Fuel/ Level Sensor - SAE 5 hole looks the hardest compared to Moeller Marine Electric Fuel Tank Sending Unit.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No, you don't angle them. 3" between the tank and deck? How deep is the tank itself?
​Senders are easy to change once we find out the correct info. I boats sells them.

bud30683

Cadet
The only possible way to get it into the tank without cutting through the deck would be slide it into the tank at an angle. Been around bass boats for 40 years, I don't know of anyone complaining about having to cut through the deck to install one.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Rather simple fix, cut an access hole for a round deck plate. Buy the plate first and cut to fit. A dab of sealer and install. Some mfg don't give ya access, you have to make your own.

The only possible way to get it into the tank without cutting through the deck would be slide it into the tank at an angle. Been around bass boats for 40 years, I don't know of anyone complaining about having to cut through the deck to install one.

About 10 years ago I worked at a marine center for a while, that place was fun.

So many times I had a radio fish finder GPS or attenena ect sold until the customer asked how to install it.

The instant I said drill holes half of them of them bugged out and decided not to buy it.

You mean I have to drill holes in my boat ???!!

I actually started suggesting glue for some things because of that.

How did you possibly go 40 years without anyone complaining about having to cut through the deck to install something ???

Last edited by a moderator:

bud30683

Cadet
One side has been replaced before I bought the boat, I was going to try to do it myself. I mainly wanted to know what sender would fit in at an angle, and yes I have been around boats, bass clubs so on for 40 years and I don't know of anyone that had to butcher their boat for a sending unit.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
I would expect the Moeller unit could be installed without an access hole. BUT, how about wiring it, making sure it is bolted / sealed properly and that the tank bond wire is still good. If I were you, I would use the access plate that Grub45891 mentioned above.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
One side has been replaced before I bought the boat, I was going to try to do it myself. I mainly wanted to know what sender would fit in at an angle, and yes I have been around boats, bass clubs so on for 40 years and I don't know of anyone that had to butcher their boat for a sending unit.

​It's not butchering. It's making it user friendly. Shoot I've seen them where there is no access whatsoever, I used a metal detector, and could not find it. Had to drill a small hole, in a hidden spot and look around with a boroscope to find the darn thing.