New to the boat scene. Question about weight.

tototojo

Cadet
Hello! I am new to being a boat owner as i picked up a 12 foot 1977 valco aluminum boat a few weeks ago. I finally got some time to take it out on the water this week and I have some questions. I have 1977 johnson 15 hp engine on it and 30 lb thrust trolling motor with battery and 6 gallon gas tank all in the back with me. When it would get out of a plane the bow would come down enough to where i could see over but then it would start hopping and had to slow down. I looked it up and saw a picture that maybe could explain why but im not sure. i didnt have my motor down as far as it would go it was maybe mid way up. Just thought there was too much weight in the back. im not very big im about 160 pounds and had my ice chest in the middle of the boat. So im wondering if there is too much weight in the back or if i need to try to put my motor down more and see if that will help. New to all this so any advice is very helpful! Thank you.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome to the boating world! Trim the motor down/in more, like almost all the way down

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you diagnosed the problem. Put some weight up front such as your ice chest and try moving the tilt of the motor down a notch or 2.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have to agree with the above advice. But six gallons is a lot of fuel carrying around for a 15HP engine. Maybe go with a 3 gallon tank and save the weight. But some weight forward should help as well. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what is the weight capacity of your little 12' boat?

6 gallon tank full - 50#
your motor - 80#
your trolling motor - 40#
your trolling motor battery - 40#
fishing gear - 60#
you - 180#
cooler with ice - 60#
Anchor and rope - 30#
oars - 20#

Thats 560# of stuff

as stated prior, move some weight forward and drop the trim in 1-2 holes

southkogs

Staff member
what is the weight capacity of your little 12' boat?
... and do you know the HP capacity?

Not saying for sure it's overpowered, but 15HP on a 12' aluminum sounds kinda' sporty. It could be weight distribution or trim, but an open, row-boat style aluminum boat seems more like a 6 or 10HP boat.

Welcome aboard!

tototojo

Cadet
I bought this set up as it is. Came with everything as listed and just took it. The weight capacity on the boat is either 450 or 600 I can't read what's on the plate to tell me which one is the weight capacity but both of these are stamped on it. I figured 15 hp would be a little much but hey its fun and came with it lol. I don't have much fishing gear with me just net tackle box and 2 poles. No anchor either since I move around a lot. I may go down to a smaller gas tank the 6 gallon is just the one that came with it. Still figuring it out and may adjust stuff like that. Just looking for some advice:)

I sent away for plans for a hovercraft out of popular science years ago and they called for putting the seat on tracks like in a car so you could adjust the weight for and aft.

Not that that helps that much here but I wrote it.

41D4Z8w2FcL._SX300_.jpg

I have never used these doel-fin hydrofoil stabilizers but maybe someone else in the forum has. They are meant to help with your problem.

www.google.com/search?q=doel-fin+hydrofoil+stabilizer

airshot

Rear Admiral
Move your 6 gallon tank forward to the middle seat at least if needed get a longer hose. Same with the battery, if needed get longer cables. Move the cooler forward as far as possible. Way to much weight in the rear, move as much as possible to the middle and some forward like the cooler you don't use much.

tototojo

Cadet
Yeah I have the cooler in the middle and when traveling I just disconnected the battery and put it in the bow. I'll see how it goes when the motor is all the way down. And the plaque on the back numbers are 15 then 450 and then 681 so not sure what those mean too much

airshot

Rear Admiral
If your tag is typical then it means...15hp max plus 450 lbs for people and gear ....or a total weight of 680 lbs for everything.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Close ^^^ but its usually
15hp max
450lbs of people (or a max of 3, at 150lbs each)
680lbs max capacity

For some reason, people are estimated at 150lbs each, but the if the # max people is reached, it doesnt matter if their combined weight is below 450lbs. If 2 people weigh 225lbs each, they max out the people capacity, so no 3rd person. If 1 person weighs 260lb, theres only 190lbs of passenger weight avaiable.

If 2 people weigh 430lbs, there is 150lbs left for everything else, before reaching the 680lb max capacity: gear, fuel, batteries, coolers, outboard, EVERYTHING else.

To be rated for a 15hp, your 12ft Valco must be wide. My 1st 12ftr was narrow, rated for a max of 7.5hp IIRC. My current 12ftr is rated for a 12hp, is 5ft wide across the widest point, which is a foot wider then my 1st,

tototojo

Cadet
I am not sure exactly what the width of the boat is but it does seem pretty wide compared to my neighbors 14 foot he has. I can measure it when I get home. Just glad at least im not pushing it too hard with the set up i have. I'm 160 pounds and with all my gear it shouldn't be close to the max weight lol. Just engine battery gas tank trolling motor net 2 poles tackle box ores and ice chest.