Rust already forming on the grab bar.

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2016 CS JVX 18.

I just bought it a few weeks ago, brand new.

Should I be concerned that the welds on the grab bar are already showing rust with some dripping down the console?
I have only put about 3 hours on this thing.

My thoughts are 1 of 2 things:

1. It's just going to happen
2. but it's a little early, right?

Is there something I can do to slow this down?
Should I be discussing this early rust with the dealer, or is my first thought normal?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I would be concerned. If they aren't willing to replace it, then go over the welds with a wire brush and naval jelly, then wax thoroughly.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not concerned at all. your most likely in a salt environment. the welds were most likely not passivated. (not done on small boats). pick up some ospho and brush it around the welds, let it sit a bit, then go from there.

H@ystack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank y'all very much. I think my mind was more leaning towards "get over it, it's salt water". I'm learning boats aren't like cars....they're going to get nasty much much faster :)

It's my first new boat, so I am aware of the mental games you play with each ding and scratch compared to a used boat. I've had a few used ones, and I didn't care too much. Hell, one didn't go in to reverse too well, so I used to yell at my wife on the dock...."MOVE! I'M COMING IN HOT!" That's what the concrete is for, to stop you, right? haha

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
not concerned at all. your most likely in a salt environment. the welds were most likely not passivated.
or they fabricated it out of something other than 316 stainless.. 304 will rust like an old can in saltwater

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welded 316L will rust in short order if not passivated. :facepalm:. dont ask how I know......

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Talk to your dealer. It should not be rusting after a couple weeks or hours. Carolina Skiffs are supposed to be built for saltwater use.

What is the hardware going to look like by next Spring? The grab rail may be a faulty part.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
The weld should be cleaned to rust free.Wipe with acetone and coat weld with clear coat touch-up paint.Some would use clear nail polish but the paint will last if done correctly.Charlie