Wiper Motor - Remove Shaft

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I need to remove my wiper motor, as I believe it is bad. I can't get it down because it gets stuck on my cabin headliner structure. Removing the headliner looks like a beast of a job. Does anyone know if I can remove the shaft from the motor somehow? I can't tell if would come out of the housing.

This replacement is very similar, but not identical.

http://www.iboats.com/Mrv-Windshiel...29250638--session_id.082498129--view_id.20845

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Usually, you have to remove a nut with compression gasket from the shaft, then remove four or more screws from the back of the housing, then press the shaft out the back.
As difficult as headliner may be, it's likely the easiest way to go with this.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Usually, you have to remove a nut with compression gasket from the shaft, then remove four or more screws from the back of the housing, then press the shaft out the back.
As difficult as headliner may be, it's likely the easiest way to go with this.

Thanks for the info - I was hoping I wouldn't hear the word "press". Wonder how much pressing is required?

I wasn't able to figure out how to get the headliner down in in the few minutes I looked at it. Would hate to tear that up.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Press - as in push, not press as in hydraulic.
The gears connecting the shaft to the motor are plastic or pot metal. The hardest part is the stuffing around the shaft that is supposed to keep water from entering the motor.

I'm not able to visualize how your motor is installed, but if you have to remove the headliner to remove the motor, wouldn't you have to remove it to get the shaft out of the back of the motor?