Opinions on this boat please

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks everyone for the great advice on my earlier post on boats in the $3-4k range. So here's one that's caught my eye on Craig's List. Opinions appreciated.

19 foot 1996 Sea Ray 190 Signature series BowRider. 4.3 liter V6 Mercruiser with Alpha 1 outdrive. $4,000 OBO

Here's the link. http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/5815079782.html

Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Offer him $3500, negotiate price.
Entire deal being contingent on water test and inspection by the mechanic of your choice.

You pay for mechanic.

After inspected, you either take it, or walk away.
No more negotiating.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Looks pretty good but there are only 7 seats. Is that enough?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
never did hear back form you on your other thread, but at least now know. So, how many people in the family if kids, what age(s)

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
That boat has a lot of potential. The Thunderbolt ignition is dead reliable, the engine compartment is clean, canvas - if in good shape - costs thousands all by itself. The style is pretty standard, which is good IMHO. I like the (teak) cover for the ski storage; if it's real it does need a bit of attention.
For $4000.00 including trailer, I'd be very interested. I'd still try to get it down to $3500.00 just because.
I'd ask how old the bellows are. It'll cost between $800.00 and $1000.00 to remove the out drive to replace the bellows. A new horn is nothing, $30.00 will get you a drop in replacement. I rarely listen to the radio but if you do, then you can upgrade the audio guilt free.
Nice color too!
Just an all around good looking boat that could use some freshening up.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Wouldn't I be exceeding safe limits with more than that on a 19 footer? Probably exceed weight first. Is this a trick question? 😕

Honestly in our 18 ft chap we have fairly comfortably seated 8. Weight limit may have been pushed a bit. A good sign is the boat has covers. That means it was probably covered which means the owner most likely took good care of it.
Yes thunderbolt ignition is great. Ours had no issues all season

If you care, I would guess that boat would do about 40ish for top speed loaded up

Frank Thomas

Cadet
never did hear back form you on your other thread, but at least now know. So, how many people in the family if kids, what age(s)

6 adult children with spouses, 10 grand kids and no pets. lol. So they all just have to take turns on different putting which means I see them more often. Win/Win. The 3 things that bring family and friends out of the wood work... A pool, a boat and a pickup.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Offer him $3500, negotiate price.
Entire deal being contingent on water test and inspection by the mechanic of your choice.

You pay for mechanic.

After inspected, you either take it, or walk away.
No more negotiating.

What Roscoe said.......... agreed... assuming it passes test.. compression, marine mechanic stuff... that's a great price!, that will do nicely on Lake Michigan on calm days.... then again whose going to go out on a Great Lake on a windy day?? not many.... good luck.. looks nice

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
6 adult children with spouses, 10 grand kids and no pets. lol. So they all just have to take turns on different putting which means I see them more often. Win/Win. The 3 things that bring family and friends out of the wood work... A pool, a boat and a pickup.

yeah it'd take a barge for that crew. That size boat will be comfortable with 4 adults and baggage.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
yeah it'd take a barge for that crew. That size boat will be comfortable with 4 adults and baggage.

yes, Joe hit that head on....4 max without feeling your stepping on each other all the time... or double your budget and look for a 21+ footer with V8... if your going to do this once..........and can afford a larger boat, do it..........a couple of feet larger in a boat is huge... especially on really big water like the Great Lakes... "normal summer days" on water that big always involves waves, swells....you will appreciate more size for sure.....

jkust

Rear Admiral
Looks decent for the price but I'd still offer less given winter is fast approaching. Nice that it is on the water for easy and drama free water test. Pics are bad so can't say much more that I see a lot of corrosion on the drive and it looks like possibly an ss prop though isn't shiny.
I had an 18 foot 3" boat for many years and 4 was even tight once my two boys started growing. I hate being cramped or even slightly inconvenienced.

Frank Thomas

Cadet
Just texted the owner about the boat and he's already put it away and dosen't want to bother with until Spring. From some of your responses maybe I need to go to a 21 footer anyways. I want to store in my garage so total length of 24' is max. Ok you guys really got me thinking now. 4 adult is probably max bit 5-6 adults on occasion would be nice. And maybe I need to increase my budget. Education first. Shop next.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
having been there and done that,, as have most forum community contributors, you wont be sorry if you decide to get a larger boat.. The great lakes are no joke...."size matters" there..... keep in mind towing considerations, -ie what vehicle your going to move it with.. or you can always upgrade there too :drum:, good luck

jkust

Rear Admiral
On the bigger boat suggestion, we went from 18'3" loa to 23'9" loa this past spring. Oddly enough we went with the same brand in the same model line up so essentially the same boat with more bells and whistles, features and a much larger engine. It is just about the right size for our family of 4 now plus can have some guests without any stumbling on one another. On the larger boats you get things such as a table you can deploy and have lunch on or play cards or whatever while underway, you get space on the port and starboard side of the boat so in front of both consoles behind hatches, you get things that are less common on smaller models such as a bow door so you can stop all the wind to the rear seating areas. There are lots of other features not on the smaller previous boat. Oddly enough, the engine is so substantially more powerful that I gained a full 12mph on the bigger boat from 48gps to 60gps. In addition, when we load the boat up with people, the engine isn't phased like our previous 4.3 liter was. I would have gone bigger but my boat lift canopy is 24 feet, my garage is still an issue as the trailer isn't a swing tongue and the boat weighs +6000lbs on the trailer which pushes my 6700lb tow limit. I haven't even mentioned how much better it takes chop on our largeish lake on the windy days. I would recommend the larger boat every day of the week if you can swing it.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The thing about the Great Lakes is that you might head out on calm waters and the weather changes faster than you can safely get back in. Size matters but there are days there isn't a big enough pleasure craft to handle it. Rescues are an ongoing thing here every year on Lake Erie. Take that in mind when you are buying a bigger boat. Heed all the marine weather information available.

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think I am a couple years away from the big lakes. There are plenty of large Michigan inland lakes within an hour of me to play on that have access to Lake Michigan. I am green. I might venture out into Lake Michigan a mile or less on a calm day but I don't want to push it. This boy has got to get his sea smarts first. But I am looking forward to the day of overnighting on a larger boat with friends and multiple destinations.