thoughts on red boat with blue motor

RobertThoreson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 58 crestliner commodore with a 58 evinrude fastwin 18. As you may know, the fastwin are blue. Now if you google crestliner commodore, they are mostly red and I like the look. I'm just not sure if it will look goofy with the blue motor

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wouldnt care at all.

Vintage boat w a vintage motor.

And painting the motor red would just would be wrong wrong wrong.........

RobertThoreson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wouldn't paint the motor but maybe the boat. They both need repainting but the motor is staying blue. Does anyone have a pic of a blue crestliner? With a red bottom for safety?

82rude

Rear Admiral
Red is easier for fish to see.Remember most fish are in school and at the end of the day their in a rush to get home and may not notice lighter colors.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Install white seats if they are not already that color. Fly an American flag and you would be ultra-patriotic. Only professional and high school sports teams would take a knee when they saw you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your that far from shore with a 60 year old boat with a 60 year old motor that the bottom color makes a difference if you turtle the boat, by the time rescue gets there it would be too late anyway.

plenty of pure white boats dont get found by a fleet of search helicopters, and plenty of black bottom painted ones as well.

I say paint the boat any color you want, color has nothing to do with safety.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't paint the motor but maybe the boat. They both need repainting but the motor is staying blue. Does anyone have a pic of a blue crestliner? With a red bottom for safety?

I saw a red one with blue motor, didn't look odd to me at all.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
IMHO, Red and blue go together OK. Blue and green are another matter.

As a kid we had a blue 'Rude and Grandpa always painted the bottom of the boat green. He said if you want to catch fish the hull had to be green. Grandma always criticized the combination because it clashed.

We later traded the 'Rude for a green Johnny and Grandma was OK with it. We still caught fish. In college I bought a blue boat and could never catch the amount of fish that i did when I was a youngin.

Grandpa was right.

Barefoot Johnny

Recruit
Robert, I have a '59 Commodore that I painted red and white - not to keep within the
color scheme, but just because I like it. I have a refurbished '58 Johnson Super Seahorse 35hp
ready to go on it soon. Fast fun little boat for sure !!
not for fishing !! strictly a pleasure cruising boat.
seats.jpg.html
Comodore_2.jpg.html

sorry, I am having a terrible time posting the photos.