Good used boats in $3k-$4k range

frankthomas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking for a used bow rider in the $3k-$4k range. 17-21 ft. Fresh water. A family day boat for skiing, tubing and fishing. I live in Michigan. I've been steered away from late 80s Bayliners and 4 cylinder Mercruisers. What makes and motor configurations are good values in this price range?

Thank you for any advice.

tpenfield

Staff member
At that budget range, you essentially are looking at boats that are at their 'end of life'. So, 'good' may not be a possibility. There are bound to be some issues. However, there is always a diamond in the rough.

3.0 Mercruisers are fine. The '470' Mercruiser is what you want to look out for.

Mercruiser and Volvo-Penta are the I/O's to look for . . . OMC is not.

In terms of outboards, if you go the route . . . Mercury, Yamaha, Johnson, Evinrude, Honda are fine. Stay away from 'Force'

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Probably need togo aluminm hull to get close to safe and water ready.

Where are you
How may people and pets and ages of kids
Mechanical skills
Construction skills
Boating knowlege or history

Welcome to the forum

jbcurt00

Staff member
In that price range, condition, condition, condition will be the determining factor. Much more then who made the boat.

Its likely many boats you see have been owned by more then 1 person, and how has each owner maintained and stored the boat. 1 careless owner in its history could be all it took to leave a mess thats just now showing up as a soft deck. Even small areas can hide lots of work.

I'd be wary of boats that seem to be in great condition, but are priced extremely low. Even this time of year in northern climates where its getting to be a good time to buy but a tough time to sell. Lots of boats posted in the resto forum had deck overs. Essentially laying new wood over rotten decks and refurbing the interior to mask the rotten deck. That could hide major problems.

Good luck w your hunt.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Unless you know the 'full' history of the boat in that price range, you might not end up with a good boat. When I was looking for a boat I only found boats around the price range of $10,000 that were good boats. Then I found my 1977 that was 100% garage kept and in mint condition. I know the history of my old boat from the first day it was bought in 1977 and have talked to both previous owners. I paid $3,500 for it and know the book value is only around $1,000 but I know its past :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

for that price range, you can find a nice tinny (aluminum boat) with an outboard, which would be my suggestion for a first time boat.

however as Ted mentioned, any fiberglass boat in that range will be past its design life and in need of serious work. just review the restoration forums on people buying boats stated to be good and end up with a full restoration. however you may be lucky and find a good quality gem that is a barn find so to speak

stay away from anything OMC (not necessarily a bad product, however the company has been out of business for almost 2 decades)

stay away from the merc 3.7 liter (165/170/175/185/470/485 it had many names)

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Here is a one owner 2002 Tahoe 18 foot bow rider with Mercruiser 3.0. It will sell for between 5 and 6.5k.

The Tahoe Q3 is very much an entry level boat. But that is what you can expect in this price range.
Entry level in good condition or mid level that needs work.

Attachments

• F5405E5B-54FE-4E93-B9F1-B9B14A926897_zps8zik1mur.jpg
    F5405E5B-54FE-4E93-B9F1-B9B14A926897_zps8zik1mur.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 0

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
I lucked out when I got my new boat. The previous owner had bought a flats boat and needed to get rid of his old one. He started at 5995 and it was for sale for over a year and price was down to 3995 before I saw it. Fresh water 21' center console with canopy, rebuilt 4.3 mercruiser, brand new overhead storage container, fish finder, etc. He didn't want to store 2 boats again for the winter so I was able to get it for 3750. There are deals out there, its just a matter of keeping an eye out.

southkogs

Staff member
You can find a good used boat in either fiberglass or aluminum in the $3k - $4k range ... but you'll have to be patient, because most of the boats in that range (and really many boats in general) have been ridden hard. As JB said, CONDITION is the key over brand and even age.

I did nearly everything wrong on my first I/O purchase ... but it was overall in good condition, and as such I had a decent boat that's still running today for a buddy of mine.

Spend some time surfing Craigslist and put some links up to boats that catch your fancy. You'll get a ton of opinions outta' all of us, and that might help you sort out some of what you're looking for.

Welcome aboard.

jkust

Rear Admiral
As mentioned, your budget is extraordinarily low given what you are seeking. Even if you found a boat, I would want to still have some cushion left over for what will likely be some additional costs to rig it, maintain it or repair it. Is your 4k an all in budget or do you also have a budget for repairs?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Would 5k push the budget too much? I picked up a nice condition Chaparral 1830 with rebuilt 4.3 for 5k and all it took was elbow grease to make it perfect. You are definitely looking at the right time though.

Last edited:
Look for one of these hanging off the back, the old mercurys

attachment.php

Then buy the book on it, its easy like a big weed eater do the maintenance they go a long time, switch boxes go but that's easy to fix.

On Holiday

Seaman Apprentice
I wouldn't rule out a 3.0L Merc. I had one on my 180 Sea Ray and it was a great motor that allowed me to slalom ski and we got two up on two skis.