1969 Larson Fiberglass V Hull w/ 1962 Johnson Sea Horse 35 HP outboard

RustyRedneck

Cadet
Hey fellas, just acquired my second ever motor boat and know next to nothing about them expect they are supposed to float. The Boat is a 1969 Larson Ind. Fiberglass V-hull with remote throttle and steering. It is powered by a 1962 Johnson Seahorse 35 HP outboard motor. I've been working on engines and mechanical systems for years but haven't done much with a boat before. The floor in mine has been rotted out and fixed by the previous owner by screwing a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 plywood over the old floor. Now for the questions. I'm thinking of replacing the floor with some Trex artificial lumber leftover from a deck remodeling project. I think it should work fine because the stuff doesn't rot and can be worked with pretty well. Thoughts/ideas on that? Also how were these boats for quality, handling? anything to watch out for on the motor or boat itself besides the obvious leaks, cracks, and possibly rotted out transom? Danke Sehr!

tpenfield

Staff member
Be prepared to replace more than just the floor.

How big is this boat?

Have you seen this boat in action? If you can get it all in good shape, you should enjoy it.

southkogs

Staff member
Nothing wrong with the old Larsons, they're nice boats. I liked most of 'em I ever ran across.

Ted's point is well taken ... a bad floor is usually an indicator of other problems. And a screwed in replacement floor is typically a bad sign. Post a couple more times, and then put a few photos up ... folks can start to chime in from there.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Trex isn't a good option as a new floor, you will probably be going with plywood.

RustyRedneck

Cadet
Checked last night and it is a Lapline model. I haven't seen the boat in action but the guy I got it from is absolutely adamant it floats and doesn't leak, for what that's worth. It has an external tank now instead of using he old one built into the port side (trying to sound good here) of the boat towards the stern. Guy said it was dirty. Not sure on length. I'll putt some pictures up as soon as I can. Probably won't do anything with it this fall yet. Should be snowing here in a couple weeks. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow, somewhere else! Thanks!

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
One good thing is that the stringers supporting the floor may possibly be fiberglass as were mine in my 1965 Larson. That is how Larson built them back then. The wood strips inside the top of the stringers used to secure the floor may be rotted out however. I didn't worry about the strips as I epoxied down my new floor to the stringers. On the down side though is if the floor has rotted out, the transom may be rotten as well as it was in mine. A lot of work ahead of you if you decide to rebuild, but possibly not having to redo the stringers will eliminate a large part of that. Rebuilt mine and what was already a very well built boat that is even better than new and gets compliments everywhere I take it.

Or you could just use it as is as many people do.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey fellas, just acquired my second ever motor boat and know next to nothing about them expect they are supposed to float. The Boat is a 1969 Larson Ind. Fiberglass V-hull with remote throttle and steering. It is powered by a 1962 Johnson Seahorse 35 HP outboard motor.

If it hasnt been said before, welcome aboard

The floor in mine has been rotted out and fixed by the previous owner by screwing a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 plywood over the old floor. Now for the questions. I'm thinking of replacing the floor with some Trex artificial lumber leftover from a deck remodeling project. I think it should work fine because the stuff doesn't rot and can be worked with pretty well. Thoughts/ideas on that?

This is a giant red flag with giant flashing lights and sirens. the prior owner was not educated in the importance of a sound boat and was a hack. the floor is the last thing to rot on a boat. boats start rotting at the keel and it migrates upwards, taking out the transom, stringers, bulkhead, and lastly the floor. by the time the floor has rotted, there is not much left in regards to the structure. just like you need your backbone, femurs, ribs and skull to support the remainder of a body, a boat needs it stringers, bulkheads and floor to support the hull and the motor/gear/people

no, you cant use TREX. its recycled plastic, has no structural capacity, and you cant glue it in because nothing sticks to it.

here are some good links on boat rebuilding. read links 14, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in that specific order

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...r/295740-how-to-s-and-other-great-information

pretty sure if you love the boat your in for a complete gut and restoration the rotten floor will need to come out, along with the rotten stringers and bulkheads and probably the transom. link 14 covers every step of a restoration

regarding your photo uploads, below is a link to the photo tutorial

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/9938375-photo-upload-tutorial

you may not know much about boats, however most of us on the site didnt either. however the collective amount of information on this site is stagering. many forum members are marine professionals, and all are enthusiasts.

RustyRedneck

Cadet
Thanks, fellas. Had no idea the floor was supposed to be part of the structure. My Lund was an aluminum V-hull with riveted stringers and I figured I'd do the same with that. Just cut Trex to set on top of the stringers and screw down to them. In the case I do rebuild this thing, what would be the best way to seal the floor without sending a ton of money? I figure if I'm going to rebuild it I'll find some way to keep it under cover when I'm not using it. That should help alot.