How full does gas tank need to be for Winter storage?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry about the link not working. Don't know what happened there. But Bruce linked to the correct bulletin.
Bruce, read it again. Specifically 2.h. h. Ethanol and any water that is in the fuel tank will separate from the gasoline and sink to the
bottom of the tank if left setting over a long period of time. To prevent this, drain all fuel systems
before storing. Add a gasoline stabilizer to the fuel tank (after draining).

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Sorry about the link not working. Don't know what happened there. But Bruce linked to the correct bulletin.
Bruce, read it again. Specifically 2.h.
Yes ...I read it again an modified my post.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
I have read that service bulletin that came out in 1995. Not sure something that is 21 years old is really valid anymore.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/bullet/95/95_07.PDF

If it were no longer valid, MerCruiser would have canceled or superseded it. It's still valid.
I thought their explanation of oxygenated fuels to be clear and succinct and the rest of their recommendations - interesting. Hopefully this will help the OP decide how to store his boat.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I actually just looked at my Mercury outboard service manual and it says to do the same thing. Need to look at my Volvo manual.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Sadly, they didn't include a definition of "a long time". Further, the way I'm reading it the article says to drain all fuel systems. Isn't the tank part of the fuel system? And if the tank is drained, what's the point of adding a fuel stabilizer?
Or are they saying drain the fuel/water separator and carburetor but fill the tank and stabilize?
My experience leads me to believe that winter layup doesn't constitute "a long time", so I'll stick with a full tank so that the first nice day of spring I won't have to mess with pumping 100 gallons of fuel.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Well damn, now I have a winterized boat and a full tank of fuel, that does have stabilizer in it. What if I just shake the boat on the trailer every now and then to keep the fuel moving around in the tank? It will only be sitting about 6 months or so. I use regular 87 octane fuel from the gas station.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Well damn, now I have a winterized boat and a full tank of fuel, that does have stabilizer in it. What if I just shake the boat on the trailer every now and then to keep the fuel moving around in the tank? It will only be sitting about 6 months or so. I use regular 87 octane fuel from the gas station.

Only if you shake it vertically, not horizontally. Any splashes out the vent tube must be reported to the EPA.

Seriously though - you'll be fine.

alldodge

Staff member

The fuel with stabil in it will be fine, the gas without stabil in it will also be fine.

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not to beat a dead horse, but I never really had an opinion on fuel stabilizers till tonight... 8 years ago I bought a cheap 2000 watt Chinese made generator with a little 3 HP engine... I almost never use it , the last time I used it was last winter when we lost power for 20 hours... It has a little 2 gallon tank and I know the gas in there is almost a year old, no fuel stabilizers, and I haven't run it since February... So tonight, just out of curiosity, I started it... It started on the 4th pull and ran perfect for 30 minutes till I shut it off... I still think as cheap as fuel stabilizers are, it might be a good idea to use it for extended storage, but not totally necessary... Just my 2?