Best Type of antifreeze to use.

Pat_220v

Cadet
(this is for IO)
The mechanic I hired for the job said he puts the lower unit in a vat and runs it. Then he puts muffs on it and runs pure antifreeze through it. I think the vat starts as pure anti-freeze. The vat was not that large. His said his anti-freeze was not RV antifreeze, but was biodegradable / safe for the environment and good to -100.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
(this is for IO)
The mechanic I hired for the job said he puts the lower unit in a vat and runs it. Then he puts muffs on it and runs pure antifreeze through it. I think the vat starts as pure anti-freeze. The vat was not that large. His said his anti-freeze was not RV antifreeze, but was biodegradable / safe for the environment and good to -100.

biodegradable doesnt exist, however proplylene glycol is GRAS or Generally Regarded As Save. the -100 stuff it IS RV/Marine antifreeze.

and unless your mechanic completely drained everything, he did you no favors and you run the risk of a cracked block.

I personally would find a differnet mechanic

Pat_220v

Cadet
and unless your mechanic completely drained everything, he did you no favors and you run the risk of a cracked block.

This guy does this treatment to a lot of boats every year. Well in excess of a 150. When I dropped my boat off a few weeks ago, there were over 50+ boats waiting already, and I dropped mine off very early for the season. The vast majority are inboards. He has been doing this for 30+ years, an old guy, at least in his 60s. If what you say is true, it would have happened to many other people already.

edit:
I am a resort operator in Door County, this is not a big place. If there was this kinda problem with Corcoran's, everyone including me would know about it.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Running an I/O in a vat is also not good for certain drives. Hope he doesn't do this with Volvos or Merc Bravos. The level in the vat has to be above the level of the impeller.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
This guy does this treatment to a lot of boats every year. Well in excess of a 150. When I dropped my boat off a few weeks ago, there were over 50+ boats waiting already, and I dropped mine off very early for the season. The vast majority are inboards. He has been doing this for 30+ years, an old guy, at least in his 60s. If what you say is true, it would have happened to many other people already.

edit:
I am a resort operator in Door County, this is not a big place. If there was this kinda problem with Corcoran's, everyone including me would know about it.

I lived in Door County for a while and boated there for many many many years (my boat was normally the first one at yachtworks in the spring for margaritas at JJ's - once having to break ice to get to open water). The county is not as small as you make it out, there are many great mechanics in the area. I would still find a new mechanic

Pat_220v

Cadet
Ah, your up in Sister Bay. I am just outside of Sturgeon Bay.

I think you and I run in different circles, which implies door county is a bigger place ;).

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I lived on Clark Lake in Stevestapol. Put in at every boat ramp in the county. Dad's place was on the bay in lower door about half mile from chaudoirs dock. Typical day would be 120 to 150 miles on the water. My cousin is on the island and does freelance photography for the pulse

Heck, i have even put a hundred miles on the mopeds touring the wineries

Pat_220v

Cadet
oh, nice. I rarely ever leave this property, it is a millstone around my neck ;). Never been to Washington island myself, if I get enough time some day I will try to boat up there. I mainly only ever use John's (Door County Boat Rental) dock, and only once a year or so. My last boat sat on a roller launch, this next one will be a railway.

I have seen Clark's lake maybe once, but never been on it. Heard it is good for water skiing. Be a right nice place to live, not far from cave point. Is it possible to exit to the lake on the creek? I think I have driven over it a few times on the way to cave point, but do not remember it.

My typical day on the water was 10 mile-ish. Either retrieving wayward guests or once in a while giving little boat tours of Bay Ship and trying to explain it, a task which I am not very good at but seems to make a number of people delighted. I am hoping with the boat we just obtained extend the season both directions and put considerably more time on it. We do not fish though, although we might in the future. We just want to get away from the resort and relax, even if it is in the middle of the night when we finally can.

I have only been to one winery, and that was not even a tour. When people ask about them I just kinda look a bit stupid and toss the DC winery brochure at them.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
My buddy has 39 years in at bay ship. I know plenty of people that used to work at palmer johnson.

You can not navigate the creek via boat. Its 6" deep other than spring, and there is the dam

You have to ebjoy the polka king porter

Pat_220v

Cadet
I had heard Palmer Johnson was a **** place to work, crap pay and endless hours. I know that the rule in town was cash on delivery to Palmer. It was said the son screwed it up with those spec boats.

When the new guy took over the company reps were all he has turned it around etc etc. Then it shut down last year. I know Bay Ship is on the upswing and purchased buildings and land of the former Palmer shops. I kinda had hoped that the folks leaving Palmer ended up with Bay Ship, I know Bay Ship has a union and all that and figured it would be a step up. One of the guys we would pull for maintenance from time to time works there, and he seems pretty positive about it.