putting boat on trailer

rtoomey641

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The last time I was taking boat out of water last time kept going on trailer listing to starboard could not straighten got o trailer but at a slight angle maybe 20 degrees any ideas why and how to correct Thanks

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Is this a new problem? What kind of boat? What kind of trailer? Bunks or rollers? Pictures would really help.

cwburkeva

Seaman Apprentice
Extra weight on that side? Someone in boat when loading? Windy day? Just a few reasons.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
are you saying the boat keel is 20 degrees rotatted from the trailer centerline, or that the boat is sitting on the trailer tilted 20 degrees to a side

assuming tilted 20 degrees to the side, you did not load the boat centered on the trailer. simple as that. your keel centerline is not lined up with the boat centerline. this means your trailer was in way too deep when you tried to load it.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
are you saying the boat keel is 20 degrees rotatted from the trailer centerline, or that the boat is sitting on the trailer tilted 20 degrees to a side

assuming tilted 20 degrees to the side, you did not load the boat centered on the trailer. simple as that. your keel centerline is not lined up with the boat centerline. this means your trailer was in way too deep when you tried to load it.

Or, a bunk could have been hit and rotated so that it is edge up instead of wide side up, or vice versa. That's why I'm wondering if it's always been this way, or is something new.

rtoomey641

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok thanks going out tomorrow will check ramp and trailer. How far should I put trailer in water 21ft wellcraft deep v cuddy 89 double axle trailer?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Without any pictures or knowledge of your ramp. I suggest trying it with the top of your fenders about 3" out of the water as a starting point. It has worked on my last 4 trailers

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Not seeing your trailer it is one of those "how long is a rope?" questions. I have a smaller boat 19' deep V. There is a centre keel roller. I ask my first mate to stop me when that centre keel roller is just about to go under water when backing in the MT trailer. That way I know exactly when the keel is centred on the roller because I can see the roller, if the keel is dead centre of the roller the boat is centred on the trailer. The trailer position all depends on how deep the water at the ramp is. Each and every ramp is going to be a bit different. Even the ramp I use changes as water levels change. Usually I drive the boat onto the trailer now. I wouldn't think of trying that when this boat was new to me. My buddy drives his 24' cuddy onto the trailer.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
On my bunk trailer, I just submerge the funders. If the ramp is really shallow, I go a bit deeper; if the ramp is steep, I leave an inch or three out of the water.

Adirondackice

Seaman Apprentice
had that problem once...fought like hell for awhile..then someone said oh move over your trailer is in a huge hole underwater...well that wouldve been nice 20 minutes ago lol

Old Ironmaker

Captain
had that problem once...fought like hell for awhile..then someone said oh move over your trailer is in a huge hole underwater...well that wouldve been nice 20 minutes ago lol

Exactly what happened to me once. Fought for an hour up to my neck in water while all my so called buddies watched and laughed. Then they told me the ramp was **** eyed.

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Without any pictures or knowledge of your ramp. I suggest trying it with the top of your fenders about 3" out of the water as a starting point. It has worked on my last 4 trailers

​Good advice. That has always worked for me. Also after a few loads it helps to learn the best approach speed.

I prefer to drive the boat up on to the trailer, as long as I hit that first roller centered after you know its centered and the roller bunks are folded in give it gas and try for the top.

For some reason even after doing this 50 times every time I fear the prop is going to hit the ramp even though it never happened in the past and their is no reason it ever would cause ramp incline and how far I put the trailer is constant I still think "I hope the prop doesn't hit"

Found a video searching drive boat onto trailer

This is not me, I was doing this with a roller bunk trailer and a 21

Hope the prop doesn't hit.